110. Welcome Home

RAVENNA PASSED THROUGH the portal and a wave of blistering heat washed across her skin

RAVENNA PASSED THROUGH the portal and a wave of blistering heat washed across her skin. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out the uncomfortably bright light that engulfed her.

It passed within seconds, and a symphony of cheers suddenly blared around her.

She jumped, startled at the sudden sound. Eoin chuckled softly behind her. "It takes a while to get used to," he whispered in her ear.

"I can only imagine," she whispered back.

The massive stone bridge overflowed with humans —a proud, happy expression plastered to each of their faces. Some cheered loudly, pumping their fists into the air, jumping for joy. Some were overcome with emotion, a mixture of tears and relief present on their faces. Others played music, celebrating the return of their beloved Blood Knights.

It was incredibly overwhelming.

The crowds had parted, clinging to the sides of the bridge, creating a clear path into the Capitol. Heavy clinks of armor and steady marching footsteps mixed with the cheerful sounds that surrounded them. As their horse moved forward, Ravenna forced her head to remain angled upright, to stare out into the crowds with her lips tugged back into a smile. She wanted to look down, to watch her hands and ignore the crowds. But she knew that would make her look weak, and cold.

She didn't want to give these humans the wrong impression, nor give them any reason to be suspicious of her.

"You're a natural," Eoin praised her. He laughed. "I should have guessed."

She glanced back over her shoulder at him, an eyebrow arched. "What do you mean?"

He simply shook his head and chuckled. Before she could press him for an answer, he turned his attention to the crowds that surrounded them. He grinned and waved excitedly at them.

It took longer than Ravenna expected to reach the Castle. The army of knights and horses moved at a slow pace, inching their way through the kingdom. Once they reached the entrance to the castle, Imperial guards appeared to guide them through the final gate. Eoin and Ravenna were among the last to enter through the gate. When they did, it shut behind them, and the army dispersed.

Eoin dismounted and helped Ravenna to the ground.

A strong ache appeared in her legs, clawing across her thighs. She took a step forward and then wobbled, her legs momentarily giving out. Eoin caught her easily, his hands firm on the sides of her waist. He held her upright. A concerned expression was etched into his expression. "Are you alright?"

She flushed bright red. "Yes, yes," she insisted. She pushed away from him and brushed at her skirts. "I am perfectly fine."

"It would certainly appear so," she heard Mylo quip from behind her.

Ravenna scowled and glanced over her shoulder. Mylo met her annoyed gaze, his dark eyes piercing through her. His expression was stoic, however she could see the annoyance that burned within his gaze.