Chapter Three

(Word Count: 2357)

Harper took her sweet ass time going downstairs, sensing her mom's eyes on her as soon as she walked into the room, her lips curving into a grimace that made her immediately want to dart from the house and leave James to fend for himself. "Is that my shirt?"

"I got stuff on mine," Harper explained as relief washed over her. Stuff like shampoo, water and shame. Shame was a tough stain to get out. "Where's Devon?"

Her dad sat next to her mom on the couch. "Sent him to the store for a couple bottles of champagne. Told him I wanted to celebrate James' return the right way. I didn't want him in the house when we all talked about this."

"Talked about what?" Her mom asked, flinging her hands in the air just as James walked in from the kitchen carrying a drink. "What the hell is going on?"

"What's going on is if I hadn't walked in on these two when I did, we'd be getting ourselves a grand baby in nine months." Her dad hung his head before shaking it and fastened his hands together. "I don't know if I should be happy or smack you both upside the head."

Her mother's eyes settled once again on her, then James, then back on her, then back on James. Repeatedly this happened until Harper started feeling dizzy. "There's booze in that glass, right?" She asked, pointing at the drink James held in his. James nodded, and her mom did a signal with her hand. "Give it here. Mamma needs it more than you do, honey."

James walked over to her mom and voluntarily gave up his glass. As she downed the drink, he sat down on the couch across from them and let out a heavy exhale. "I know you guys wanted me to be with Layla-"

"Please," her mother cut in before lifting her palm. "We loved the idea of you being our son-in-law, and I know our daughter was crazy about you, but the two of you had about as much chemistry as Natalie Portman and that whiny guy in that terrible reboot."

"That marriage would never have lasted," her dad added. "I think the only person who didn't realize that was Layla. But tonight we're talking about our other daughter. Now, you are our son in every way except blood and we will love you no matter what you two do here, but you need to understand that this relationship will not be easy for Devon to accept and Layla will never accept it. I guarantee this will change Harper and Layla's relationship forever.

"Now, if this is love, then it's something worth fighting for. If it isn't, you two will lose a hell of a lot more than you gain. I'll keep my mouth shut about what I saw upstairs, but they'll both find out eventually. I suggest you two take some time and figure out what this is and either end it or come clean before it bites you in the ass."

Her mom snapped her fingers. "Star Wars. That's what I was thinking of."

Harper just shook her head, though her mom had a point. Those actors had zero chemistry. James and herself, however, were a very different story. She felt so anyway. What was going on in James' mind was a mystery to her.

Since she had yet to be a part of this discussion, Harper left the room in silence and went into the kitchen, snatched a glass from the cupboard and filled it halfway before taking a small drink. There were too damn many 'what if's' for her liking.

What if James wanted her, but not enough?

What if this was desire, but would never be love for him?

What if her sister ended up hating her forever?

What if by the end, she would end up hating herself?

A strong arm draped around her abdomen while his right hand took the glass away and placed it on the counter. "You okay?"

Harper let out a lengthy breath, then spun around in his grasp. "Before he caught us, you said you thought it would be best if we didn't pursue this." They were difficult for her to say and maybe his answer would break her heart, but she needed to know. "Is that something you still want?"