Chapter 23

Brooks and Damon got home first. They came in the house absolutely giddy, and it wasn't even midnight.

"How'd it go?" I asked, racing up to them. We had been playing Go-Fish for the past hour and I wanted to Go-Kill myself.

Brooks laughed and wrapped an arm over my shoulder, giving me half a hug. Damon blew me a mocking kiss as he walked over to the others.

"That well?" I asked. "What happened?"

"We had a very fun date with some very sweet ladies who were very much into us." Damon said, sitting over by Dominic.

"Sounds... very fun." Caleb replied, bemused.

"We went mini-golfing and I crushed Damon. It was amazing C, I wish you coulda been there. Valerie said to say hi." Brooks said, wincing at him good-naturedly.

Caleb perked up at that and Dominic smiled at his happiness.

This family was so damn cute sometimes it killed me.

"This family is so damn cute sometimes it kills me." I said aloud. The boys turned to me with equally as disgusted expressions.

"We're not cute!" said Damon, immediately.

"Well, not you on your own. But yes, you guys are." I informed him happily. Out of nowhere he grabbed me and pulled me onto his lap sideways, so my head rested on the crook of his arm.

"You're just trying to get the attention away from you, little girl." He said with a condescending grin.

"There was no attention on me!" I protested, trying to squirm away.

"But you wish there was." He said, mocking me.

"No!" I said, crossing my arms since he wasn't letting me go.

"No?" he asked, as if confused.

"Yes!" I said, confirming my previous answer.

"Yes, you do wish you had more attention?" He asked, twisting the truth. The other boys got closer to us and leered down at me, loving every second of my torture.

"Awww sweetheart, you should've just asked!" Brooks said, batting his eyes at me.

"Yeah, baby." Caleb said, eager to be a part of the winning team.

"Grrrr!" I said, trying to get away. Damon held me still until I gave up wiggling, and then everyone aww-ed at me. My cheeks heated up in embarrassment, and I hoped they couldn't tell.

Finally, he let go.

"You guys are the worst!" I shouted, storming off.

"Maybe my thing is fighting... but her thing is yelling." I heard Dominic whisper to Caleb as I left. I turned my head and gave him a massive glare, to which they all bust out laughing.

I went up to my room and turned on my laptop, to ignore the others.

- - - -

An hour later, I heard a knock at my door.

"GO AWAY. I don't want your pity!" I shouted pettily, at one of the boys.

The door creaked open and I filled my lungs, ready to shout until I saw Charlotte peek in.

"Don't worry." She said, jokingly defensive. "I don't have any pity!"

I let out my breath and smiled a little but tried to twist it into a neutral look.

"You're home." I said, sitting up in my bed and giving her space. She sat beside me and said "Yep!"

"Did you have fun?" I asked.