07

Lydia had been out of Nicholas' house a few times in the last week. While they hadn't gone promenading at any of the fashionable spots, she and Eunice had taken the air at some of the nearby parks and walks, getting the air and stretching their legs. Lydia had believed that the city of London was busy and imposing even on those brief jaunts, but now when she was alone, her long plain pelisse bundled around her and her demure hat pulled low, it felt like a different city entirely. There were still plenty of people about, and in some ways, it was no different from the bustle of the day. There were people hauling their goods back to their homes after vending all day, and there were bakers getting a start on the next day's baking. The sight of the tradespeople warmed her, but there were people around who made Lydia feel distinctly uneasy.

She dodged away from two constables, their buttons shining brightly and truncheons swinging carelessly from their hands. On one corner was a trio of young men, passing a discreet bottle between the three of them. They sounded friendly when they called her to stop, but she summoned up her best matronly scowl and continued on her way. For a moment, she was afraid they would follow her, but they stayed where they were and she breathed a deep sigh of relief.

My goodness, but Carmody is nothing like London. I'm glad Great-aunt Eunice and I did some walking, or I would be quite terrified.

She had kept herself from telling Nicholas that she was better prepared than he believed. Hidden in her bags was a slip of paper that contained an address. The address was her brother's place of residence while he was in London, a small flat her family owned. The key had been sent back to Carmody with his effects, and the moment she had seen it, her plan had been clear. Now the key was clutched in her hand, and Lydia knew that no force short of death would cause her to let it go.

She had seen the street she needed when she was out with Eunice three days ago, and when she traced the route on the map she discovered in Nicholas' library, it had seemed a short enough distance. However, a mile and a half in daylight and surrounded by people out and about on their day was different from a mile and a half in the dark, where it seemed as if eyes followed her from every direction.

It seemed to take an eternity to get to her brother's flat, and when she verified the number on the humble plaque with the slip of paper with his address on it, Lydia was nearly ready to faint with relief. The key opened the front door to her, and she shivered upon entering. She had matches and a candle in her reticule, and she lit the candle now, peering around at the small flat in curiosity. This was where Benjamin had lived, and it gave her a pang to imagine her brother in this tidy place.

It was only a few rooms on the first floor, and a great deal had already been packed away. She knew that if there was anything to be found, it would be on his desk in his study, and she made her way there.

The desk was clean, but in a drawer, all the way at the back, she found a small card. It was squarish with a design of lush flowers all the way around the edge, with an address inscribed upon it. She felt a tingle when she touched it. It felt as if fate had led her to the card, and she tucked it into her reticule.

A more thorough search turned up nothing promising, and shaking her head, Lydia turned to go.

It is better than nothing. She fingered the card through the fabric of the reticule. It was not for nothing that I came here.

She was just locking the door behind her when she felt something hard pressed against her back. Lydia let out a loud gasp, and then a large hand grabbed her shoulder, bruising tight and spinning her around. She looked up and up into the faces of two constables, and with a sinking stomach, she realized there was an edge of malice to their amusement.