Prologue

It was always fun: the uncontained destruction, the explosions that rocked the world, the slow, endless burning of chemical fires, the life snuffed out like a frail match in a deadly snowstorm.

Not that Thanatos Quinn cared about having fun.  No, that was for others.  Thanatos Quinn never cared about fun, or anger, or sadness, or depression, or happiness and joy.  Only simple curiosity, interest in how it worked.  Even that, he was careful to limit.  It was too easy to get caught up in it all.  If you became attached to it, you were weakened.

And weakness was the antithesis of power.

Thanatos had always been careful to keep this rule, this iron standard that held him to his path.  Emotion was weak.  Pathetic.  Useless.  Curiosity was the one luxury that he indulged in. 

Fear was the only emotion that had any use.  But he had no use for it.  Fear was for the leaders to sway the crowds with, to manipulate them according to their will.  Fear was a useful ally.

But not yet.  Thanatos had no use for fear while he was merely a scientist.  Curiosity was a luxury, though limited in usefulness.  There was almost nothing to the world.  He had read all the literature.  Life outside The Society was a dull, useless thing, overrated by its livers, hardly worth the bullet it took to end it.  He really was doing that life a service by working to help end it whenever it threatened to intrude on the most perfect nation that had yet existed.

Not that Thanatos cared about helping them.  Or anyone, for that matter.  Thanatos served only one person.

Himself.

Because, when it came down to it, there was really nothing else worth serving.