Bet

Aiden opened his mouth and closed it again.

*******

"Today is the day." Isabella stared at her own reflection, her eyes unsmiling. "Everything will change from this point on." She studied the tiara that would be a crown in a matter of an hour.

"Bella." She turned and saw her proud father beaming at her. "Your mother would be so very proud of you." He walked to her and wiped her tears, "I know that you will make this nation great, you will do what I've failed to do in my reign."

"I just want the nation to prosper, I love it too much not to." The tears continued to flow.

"You nearly allowed your head to be chopped off for Gardia a year ago, how could you not?!" His eyes searched her face and he grimly shook his head, softening his voice. "He had a duty to his own land Isabella. You will move on and eventually marry for your own happiness without having to make sacrifices."

"He said he loved me and then he leaves after everything, a single letter he left." She mentally shook herself and adjusted her tiara, "but 'tis fine. I will be queen and I do not need a man at my side. I will rule this nation alone and I will do it well."

William kissed the top of her head, "I am sure you will, I am right behind you as well my dear." Isabella smiled and donned her gloves as Hazel and Iris rushed in.

"Beautiful!" They both exclaimed in merriment. Iris adjusted the blue dress that Hazel had originally almost forced Isabella to wear to the Baldwin's dinner. The dress was hemmed and jeweled until deemed coronation appropriate. Isabella choose it because she felt she had come full circle. She had killed, almost been killed and fallen in love about a year ago and the dress symbolized her journey. She smiled to herself as the memories flashed and excused herself to the balcony. Looking at the sky, she tilted her head and sighed.

"Well mother, at five and twenty summers, I hope that I could be at least half the Queen you were. Baldwin had paid for what he had done and there is peace, what more could I possibly ask for?" Isabella wiped a single tear and turned to reenter the castle at the sounding of the trumpets.

"'Tis time Bella." Hazel beamed and exited the room with a sobbing Iris.

"Shall we?" William smiled and Isabella nodded raising her chin high. She adjusted the crown on his head and took his arm and exited the grand room to the staircase. The nobles gasped as the beaming pair descended. "You ready?"

"Born ready." She whispered back smiling and he squeezed her hand. She smiled as she passed Edwin and grinned at James and his mother. She noticed Henry by the doors and raised her eyebrows when she saw him in Jarian garb. She decided to ask later just as she approached the throne. Her father kissed her forehead and stepped to her right as she sat. Her father gave a speech that almost caused her to cry again so she just continued to smile. She closed her eyes finally and took a deep breathe as a Lord prayed the royal prayer and the crown was removed from William's head and lowered to Isabella's. Isabella felt a light weight on her head and opened her eyes at the sound of the trumpets.

"Presenting Isabella Arrow, Queen of Gardia." Edwin grinned and added, "Head Knight of Gardia." There was silence and then a loud, "LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!" Everyone cheered and Isabella laughed with joy. Her father helped her up and they hugged.

Isabella beamed, "Let the festivities begin!"

********

"Princess... Or shall I say Queen Isabella, may I have the honor of escorting you somewhere quieter? There is something I must tell you." James bowed. Isabella smiled and followed him out of the crowded ball room. Isabella walked into the cool night air and turned toward James expectantly with an eyebrow raised. "Isabella we've grown closer and I feel like I should finally confess. When I first met you, I thought you were the most beautiful woman I'd ever laid eyes on even as you were carried in unconscious." She blushed and nodded for him to continue. "Before I bear my soul I must ask you one thing." She nodded. "If Aiden returned would you want to be with him? Do you still love him?"