6: Release Me

According to my memory, Ian possessed a strong jawline for a nineteen-year-old

According to my memory, Ian possessed a strong jawline for a nineteen-year-old. His dark facial hair speckled his chin, and his deep brown eyes reminded me of my own. His prominent African American features dominated his physical appearance with a broad nose and thicker lips.

Ian Rodgers had to be the significant link between my lost memories and answers. A lot of who I was seemed to be connected to him.

"I want to see Ian." After mom looked at me funny, I added, "Maybe seeing him will help trigger some memories. And that's what we want, right? For me to remember?"

She nodded, but I can tell by the look on her face that she was against the idea. "I want you to get back home so you can see him too, but Dr. Schwartz refuses to discharge you until you're better."

"Why not bring him to me?" My eyes grew wide with the idea and I nodded to encourage her to agree. She took a while contemplating, so I added, "Having him visit would be a really nice rebirthday gift."

Just the thought of him took my mind off of the horrific experiences I've been through since waking from treatment, but it only fueled more questions. Did he miss me and was patiently waiting for my return? Had he questioned if I were okay or not, was he looking for answers as well?

"I'll see what I can do." She huffed and glided her hands over the sheet of my bed while staring longingly at the white and red cake. I stared too, wondering if she was willing to eat it alone. "Sorry." She frowned. "Doctor says no food or drink yet."

"I know." I nodded, trying to remain cooperative and pleasant. "I'm not really hungry." And the charred smell that lingered in the back of my throat made it difficult to conjure up an appetite anyway.

"Are you still in pain?" She came to my side, her brown eyes drooped in sympathy.

"No, I feel better." I confessed, trying to pinpoint the exact location of the previous flutter.

"Do you remember anything other than the piano? Has any more memories returned to you?"

I bobbed my head. "I think I remember Ian." Her eyes widened, causing a bit of eagerness to rush through me. "He has a darker skin tone than me, right? Short tight curls on his head. Stocky, athletic body?"

"That's right!" She pressed her hands together excitedly, as if she wanted to clap but stopped herself from going full in.

"How was he as a person?" I wished I could remember more than his physical appearance. I couldn't even recall the sound of his voice or any of his quirks or mannerisms.

"He used to play football in high school. After he graduated, things changed. Everything changed, really. He kind of lost interest in football."

"Really? Why?"

She shrugged and frowned, causing a crinkle in her forehead. "I don't know much. I only know what I've learned after you were sent here."

I stared out the corner of my eye, waiting for her to explain. "What else do you know about him?"