Chapter One - English Accents

It all started with my stupid job, chasing a stupid rouge, for my stupid father. Okay, my father isn't so stupid as the rouge I was chasing. My father is just a firm believer of tough love. At least that's what I make myself believe. It's easier than thinking my father doesn't love me and that I'm just a puppet on his strings and he's the grand puppeteer behind the curtain.

Though I suppose he loves me, given my position in the kingdom; just below the king himself, equal to my oh so loving mother. But that's my father's definition of love: Power. And he's got a lot of it.

My boots crunched over the loose stones on the asphalt as I made my way down the ally toward a Shell gas station that was located around the corner, hands stuffed in my front pockets of my worn-out jeans. I'd followed one of my father's run-away minions all the way across the United States, pinpointing his whereabouts here, smack dab in the middle of a small town named Venice located near the tip of Louisiana. Population: 202. I was surprised a community like this even functioned. A few families at the most.

Pale yellow light blanketed the ally, creating an eerie feel. The night was chilly due to it being December, and a slight breeze blew through, blowing loose strands of hair in my face. My cellphone buzzed in my back pocket. Stuffing my hand in my jeans, I fished out the beeping piece of plastic, glancing down at the number. James. Sigh.

Leaning against a brick wall, I answered.

"Hello?"

"Do you have him yet?" James nasally voice rang in my ear. He sounded annoyed, as if the rogues fleeing was my fault.

So here's the thing... I don't like James, and he doesn't like me. He thinks I'm a power hungry, self serving, stuck up girl that's only in the family business for my daddy's power. I think he's an obnoxious brown nosing piece of shit. So you see where we stand.

I frowned. "Don't you think I would have called if I had?" I huffed, making sure the annoyance I felt was crystal clear.

"You're father isn't happy, Mara." There was rustling on the other end. Paper, maybe. Images of James muddled and disorienting mountain of files, reports, and lose-leaf paper came to mind. "Royce is the third rogue to go missing this month."

"You think I don't know this? Last time I checked, you're not the one chasing their scrawny asses all over Timbuktu," I snapped. His lack of confidence in me could get depressing. "Not to mention, I have him cornered. The only place he can go is south. Nothing's there but water." I took a breath and went on. "So unless you think our little friend would like to take a long and pleasant swim in the Gulf, I doubt he'll run."

"He'll run. They always do."

I sighed, defeated. "'Kay, well I have a job today. Give Daddy my regards."

"Mara, don't be like-"

Click.

"Ungrateful bastards," I mumbled under my breath, turning the corner while stuffing my phone back in my pocket, hiking through the night towards my prey.

Stalking my may to the gas station, I pulled my hood over my head, casting a dark shadow over my face. I stuffed my long black ponytail under my hood, trying to disguise myself as much as possible without looking suspicious. Despite the night chill, sweat started to bead on the back of my neck; heat pumping through my veins at the fight that was sure to come. But who would receive the ass-kicking, was still mystery.

It had just rained the night before, so dark, glossy puddles littered the asphalt parking lots. Toads and crickets chirped and croaked in the night, creating a haunting symphony of sounds blowing softly in the Louisiana breeze. An owl screech, cutting through the the air like a knife. The sky was clear and dark, giving the moon the liberty to dance and shine.