27

Chapter Twenty Seven - Surprises Galore

Ten months later.

I unlock the door before rushing into my bedroom. My hands are trembling as I take the tests out of the bag and bring them to the bathroom. For weeks now I have been feeling off and just a few days ago I started vomiting almost every morning. My tummy also looks bloated and I feel more tired than usual. At first I didn't think much of it...until I remembered that Hunter and I forgot to use a condom a while back.

With a deep breath I follow the instructions and do what I'm supposed to before leaving them on the counter. I had picked up six because...well I'm a maniac and didn't believe that only one or two would give me a correct answer. Taking a seat on the bed I wait with my poor heart racing a mile a minute.

Although I've just turned twenty-three and graduated months ago I feel nervous at the prospect of becoming a mom. After I testified in court and my family was found guilty they were sentenced to jail for their wrongdoings. But me and Hunter thought it was time to move on from our apartment and leave those memories behind.

We've now moved into a much more spacious place in Upper East Side, Manhattan. We have talked about starting a family which only pushed us further to make this move but I didn't expect to become pregnant so soon. 

I sigh before going to the kitchen to get some water so that I can calm down. The open space that houses the kitchen and the dining room is one of my most favorite places in the entire apartment. Our entire home has a modern feel to it with the white marble and dark wood but I transformed the kitchen into a relaxed setting where I can feel comfortable while cooking.

We live at the top of the building with two floors to ourselves. There's four beds and four equal bathrooms with a spacious seating area outside. I love the glass sliding doors that open to the rooftop where we've placed couches, lounge chairs and a larger dining table. The balcony is lined with green bushes, plants and flowers too. Wooden planks cover some of the rooftop space so thankfully we do have a little bit of privacy.

The sitting room is quite simple and of neutral color but it's a great place to relax at the end of the day. Floor to ceiling length walls cover almost an entire side of the whole apartment which sometimes serves as a distraction when I'm working but I love it nonetheless.

I take my glass of water back to the bedroom and hesitate before checking the tests. Tears instantly brim my eyes when they all state that I'm pregnant. A breathless laugh escapes me as I realize I have a little life growing inside of me. Thankfully, I had scheduled my regular blood tests and gave them two days ago so I should be able to get an answer today.

I grab my bag and coat before making my way out of the apartment again. This time I walk with a bounce to my step as I head towards the doctor's clinic. I'm filled with so much joy at the thought of a little Zoe or Hunter coming into our lives. I can't wait to tell him when he comes back from work. Should I surprise him? I wonder to myself before frowning in confusion. But how?

Humming thoughtfully, it doesn't take me long to reach the clinic and I walk inside to greet the receptionist. After a short time of waiting I'm called in by Doctor Jennings who leads me to a different room than usual. He checks my reports first as I tell him about the tests and he nods with a smile.

"You are indeed pregnant Zoe, congratulations! You're four weeks along and I'm going to schedule you in for an ultrasound in week eight." He types away on his computer before asking me some questions about my medical history. "I'm also prescribing you some vitamins that you should take during your pregnancy and we'll keep an eye on you in case you need anything else. Is that okay?"