4~ Kiddos

Melissa

Kids aren't horrifying.

I work with kids. I can handle kids. I love kids. That's why I became a teacher. However, I've been dating John for over four months and he's decided now was the perfect time to meet his godchildren. His kiddos. Five kids who can truly do no wrong in his eyes.

I, Melissa Miller, a grown ass woman, am terrified of meeting them.

I already know Scarlett and her opinion is the one that matters. If she doesn't like me then the rest definitely won't. We had our moment. She said we were good. That should make me feel better. And it would, if I haven't heard stories about how insane the rest of her family is.

Teachers talk and they have plenty to say about this family.

Sage is without a doubt, going to intimidate me. He's going to be loud and say things just to see how I'll react. The twins, Sterling and Silver, are geniuses. Sterling will analyze everything I do, and Silver will say horrible things just to see how I'll react. And Saffron, from what I've heard, she might throw a knife at me.

This is a make or break moment in our relationship, and I'm ready to fake a stomachache.

"You okay?" John squeezes my hand, pulling into a parking lot.

"Yeah." I force a smile.

"Good, because we're here." He turns the car off.

Staring at the cute Italian restaurant, I gulp. Looks like it's too late to fake that tummy ache.

When I don't go to get out, he stops. "You sure you're good?"

"Do you promise they won't hate me?" I beg.

"Of course not." He smiles. "I adore you, so they have to."

I don't think it works like that. "And you're sure they won't try to embarrass me tonight?" I need to at least be prepared.

"Melissa, my kiddos are absolute angels." He rests a hand over his heart.

Maybe those stories are just exaggerations. "Really?"

"No." He dies laughing. "They're the spawns of Satan but I love them anyways."

My hope vanishes as I slam my car door shut. Asshole. I follow after him, wiping my sweaty hands on my dress. Once we're inside, the scent of carbs makes me relax.

"Hello." A woman tackles me in a hug.

Losing circulation in my arms, I send John a panicked look.

Smiling, he pulls her back. "Mel, this is Bella. The owner of this restaurant and a family friend. Bella, this is my girlfriend, Melissa."

"She's beautiful." She smacks his arm before turning to me. "You're beautiful."

"Thank you." I fidget as she chats with John.

"Are they here?"

"Yes, and in rare form." She says, leading us to the back of the restaurant. Sending me a knowing look, she points to a table. "Enjoy."

Faltering, John forces me to walk towards the table. Five kids watch us, identical smirks on their faces. I think I might be sick.

John holds out a chair for me and before he can take the one beside me, a little girl covered in freckles smiles. "Uncle John, sit next to me."

"Squirt, I should sit next to my girlfriend." He says.

"But I missed you today." Saffron bats her eyelashes.