Chapter 9: Guard Duty

Seven days and seven nights passed before the Nine Rajas decided what should happen to her and Esen. Not enough time to mourn yet still an eternity to pace from one end of the roof to the other, crying until she felt too embarrassed to ask Nana or Indra for more hugs, and wondering about what she could have done differently.

Seven seconds of bravery. Seven lives spared. Twenty-one fewer handfuls of fertile soil she had thrown in their desert graves. An illusion, she was well aware. But it didn't stop her mind from going over the same thoughts for breakfast, lunch, dinner and deep in the night while the rest of Alburkhan slept.

On the day the Rajas finally got together, they debated long and hard. Sci and Esen had to wait outside until they had reached a verdict. Shadows shrunk, then crawled back down the walls before they were called in.

This wasn't the first time in the history of the Scorian army that jondis had passed away before graduating. The sudden desert storm had claimed the lives of many, wiped out entire rings, entire units even. Three cycles before, half a ring had been caught by a tornado. The four survivors had been separated, split among the remaining rings. Their grief had grown into hate against the Gods, the Queen, and the army. They had stolen weapons, then tried to take down the Rajas from within. Even today, they were still plaguing both the army and the Queen with their newfound faith and ideas.

At least, that was what Esen's ummi had told her ummi.

Now that Raja avoided Sci's gaze, refusing to look directly at her, as though she was a piece of tainted, dishonoured dirt, this seemed less about the risk of them turning rogue but more about Sci's powers. Even she had downright refused to use them, the mere idea that she might have controlled the wind was enough to cast doubt on her.

Would she ever be more than the mark others had given her?

"... came to the conclusion that you two will join the forces of the gate guards," Raja Kader said. "You'll hone your skills for another year, give you time to overcome this awful tragedy, then next autumn, we'll gladly accept you back into training."

While Esen nodded in understanding, Sci clenched her lips. The gate guards were soldiers who were too stupid to correctly pack their supplies. They didn't belong in the army, but through the miracle of corruption someone high above had arranged a spot for them. A final chance.

There was nothing enticing about being a gate guard. They toured around the royal palace, chasing away curious children and those too eager to catch a glimpse of the royal family. They didn't think, didn't need to. They gave warnings—three times. Then the royal guard stepped in to solve the issue.

This was a decoy. A place where the Rajas could spy on her, and that for nearly a year. As if they were waiting for her to go off, like the storm that had killed Narek and the others. The witch will show herself, and then we'll have her.

Still, this new position was all she had. She could stay in the army. Get paid. The alternative was begging to return to the brewery where she would serve parrots until she got fired again for fearing open flames. Forever the girl who had watched her ring die.

She dug her bit-off nails into the palm of her hands. 

Narek would have debated their decision. But Esen was not Narek. His place would still be warm in a year. His mother would assure her son would rise as star jondi once more and climb the ranks. Stupid Esen with the tousled black hair and red rings just above his cheekbones.

That evening, when the night blanketed over Alburkhan with a bright crescent moon and thousands of twinkling stars, Sci and Esen stared at each other. From one roof to the other. Two souls. Not a single word exchanged between them. Two sets of amber eyes filled with sadness, finding comfort in each other.