t w o

Newt needed a moment to eat his lunch, so he gave Suejin a chance to walk around the Glade herself.

  "Don't go anywhere I haven't shown you yet." he warned lightly. "And be back soon." He took a bite of his sandwich. "I'll be waiting here." He smiled.

  She just smiled back, feeling a little guilty. She already knew where she wanted to go. Earlier, when they were at the Box, a small concrete building nearby had caught her eye. Newt never mentioned it, and he seemed to steer them slightly away from it. For some reason, she felt compelled to see what was inside, even if it meant disobeying Newt's orders.

  As she turned and walked away, a strange feeling of anticipation washed over her. She wondered why, but her thoughts were interrupted when she bumped into someone. "I'm so sorry," she began in a flustered voice, until she saw who it was.

  It was Jason. His eyes brightened at the sight of her. His arms were crossed, and his mouth was curved into a playful smile. "Just can't get enough of me, Greenie, can you?"

  She ignored him. She was not in the mood to deal with this again. She walked right past him without a single word.

  "Hey, wait." He caught up to her. "Sorry?"

  "I don't need your apology."

  "Ouch, that's a little harsh, isn't it, Greenie?"

  She stopped for a moment and looked him dead in the eye. "Leave me alone," she warned. "Or I'll do more than just slap your face this time."

  He just grinned, as if he were amused. "Okay, okay, whatever you want." He held his hands up in mock defeat. "I'm so scared." He chuckled to himself, saying something inaudible to her. He turned and walked away, a small bounce in his step.

  Suejin watched him walk away, promising herself she would avoid Jason as much as she could. He seemed to enjoy her discomfort. She was not going to let him get to her.

  She continued on, reaching the Box. She did a quick look to see if anyone was around and didn't see anyone. She walked closer to the direction of the small, concrete building, feeling both nervous and excited at the same time. She reached the front of the building and stopped in front of the riveted metal door. She was just about to place her hands on the door when it suddenly opened. She jumped back in surprise, her heart stopping.

  It was Minho, that tall Asian boy she had seen earlier. The Runner boy. She gulped, recalling the boy's aggressive attitude earlier. Something told her that he was not to be messed with.

  He seemed surprised at first, but a hostile look immediately followed. "What do you think you're doing here?"

  "I uh," she cowered a little underneath his dominant gaze. "I was just um-" She couldn't think of an excuse. He raised his eyebrows. Get it together, Suejin. She thought. "I was uh-"

  "You're the new Greenie, right?" Minho crossed his arms. "Or you wouldn't be poking your head where it doesn't belong."

  She blinked. She didn't know what to say to that. He was right, but she didn't like the tone of his voice at all. "Why are you here, then?"

  Minho laughed, but it wasn't a pleasant one. "Well, I've been shucked and gone to heaven," he said in a sarcastic tone. "Because I'm a Runner, if you even know what that means."

  "I do." This boy was starting to get on her nerves. "But what does that even have to do with being here?" Suejin tried to keep the annoyance out of her voice, but it wasn't easy.

  "It doesn't matter." He glowered. "This building is off-limits."

  "Says who, might I ask?" She shot back defiantly.