Ch. 4: More Than I Imagined

Ferris' POV

I couldn't shake Lucas' kiss even as the days of the ceremony flew by. We'd been allowed to meet, but considering the timing and sensitive details surrounding our situation, we weren't allowed to announce anything. That time in the living room was the first and last time we were alone.

In the days that followed, if Chelsea or mom weren't by my side, another she-wolf was. Whether it was to dress me, arrange my hair or usher me to the next step in the ceremony.

We stole glimpses through crowded rooms. Smiles were shared over sips of drinks. After the third day's trials, we'd snuck out of the manor to the back gardens, catching each other to the north of the fountain. My hair was damp still from the moon water bath I'd had. It was custom on the third day's ceremony to bathe in lunar water and scrub down in lavender and thyme. When cleaned, you stepped out from the back room to join the guests in the front room. The guest of honour dress in the ceremonial robe, and the ceremonial leaders – usually the pack elders - rinsed the guest's hair with lavender water. There were a bunch of passages read aloud, and praying, but at least I came out of there smelling like a garden.

I still wore the ceremonial robe when he swept me onto the edge of the fountain.

I felt his nose nuzzling into my neck still. My fingers touched at the spot he'd nipped me.

Mom caught us soon after, but I could still smell him on the ends of my hair.

"Oy, Ferris, are you even listening?" Chelsea sighed loudly, flicking her bobby pin at me.

"Sorry," I apologized sheepishly.

A cheeky grin exploded on Chelsea's face. "Were you thinking about him?"

"Chelse!" I hissed, looking around to make sure no one heard. I smiled despite her lack of shame.

She'd pressed me on every detail possible, every second of the way. There was not one thing Lucas had said or done that Chelsea did not know about.

"So, when do you think your dad is gonna let you see him again?" she asked me.

It was my turn to sigh. "I don't know... He doesn't seem like he ever wants us to be alone together. Which is dumb. I understand this situation is different, and admittedly, there is an age gap I wasn't aware of before, but... It's not fair!"

"Give it time. Your dad won't have a choice but to let you leave with him at the end of the ceremony anyway."

She had a point. Lucas had taken over the pack from his father. As reigning Alpha of the Armor pack, I was his new appointed Luna. Together, we were expected to lead the pack. Tradition dictated that she-wolves followed their mates to their packs. Being the Luna only solidified the importance. Dad wouldn't be able to keep us apart then.

"Chelsea, I'm not ready to lead my own pack..."

"Hey," she shushed, waving a hand. "You have it in your blood. Look at your mom."

Maybe she was right. Or maybe I was way in over my head.

-

ON the morning of the fourth day, dad sent someone to fetch me to his office.

I tossed my curly hair into a messy bun, loose strands and baby hairs falling all over my face. My cheeks were swollen from having just woken up, the large baseball shirt I wore reached just past my butt which was covered only by a pair of men's boxers – my favourite choice of pajama. Usually when dad called me into his office, it wasn't a big deal and was just us two. Otherwise, we talked in mom's office. And this was our private house, so I didn't expect anyone to be here at such an early hour.