Chapter 4

"So, what do you do?" Mark asked the girl. The two of them found a spot, holding on to the handles inside the packed subway train.

"What do you mean, I'm a student." Sarah replied, laughing at his question. Mark scratched the back of his neck.

"Sometimes I forget that normal young adults spend their days studying." Mark said, slightly embarassed. "What do you study?" Mark questioned her.

"I'm in my third year of journalism." She told him. Mark looked at his fingers, doing some math in his head.

"Wait, are you the same age as me then? Were you born in 1999?" Sarah nodded.

"Yup, we're the same age." Mark smiled, shaking his head.

"Wow, that's pretty cool." Mark said, chuckling to himself. The subway train slowed down abruptly, causing Sarah to lurch forward towards Mark. Instinctively, Mark grabbed her arm, steadying her.

"Whoa there." The words escaped Mark's lips effortlessly, surprising both of them. They simply laughed at each other.

"Sorry." Sarah said to him as Mark removed his arm. "Subways are so unpredictable sometimes." Mark shook his head.

"No need to apologize, it's like this in Korea too." He said to her. Sarah simply looked down at her feet.

"I've never been to Korea." She admitted. Mark's mouth suddenly hung open as he realized his mistake.

"Oh, I didn't mean to assume anything." He quickly said. Sarah shook her head.

"Don't worry, I'm Korean but I was born here but I just haven't travelled there before." Sarah explained to him. Mark let out a sigh of relief.

"When you have time you should go. There's some really nice spots there." He said with a smile. Sarah looked back up, meeting his eyes.

"I'll make sure I add that to my bucket list then." Sarah said, returning the smile.

"What brings you downtown anyways? Were you out with friends?" Mark asked her curiously.

"No, I was at my summer placement. Today was my last day." She told him.

"That's pretty cool, what did you do?"

"I was an intern with the city's newspaper."

"Oh wow, so you wrote about celebrities like me?" Mark said jokingly causing Sarah to giggle.

"No, it was more like stalking paramedics and police officers, kind of like sasaengs." She said in a serious tone, making the Mark laugh.

As the subway doors opened, people pushed as they tried to get off or on, causing Sarah to get pushed up against Mark. She put her hands out in front of her, only for her hands to land on his chest. Mark, looked up at the ceiling of the train, avoiding eye contact as his ears began to turn red at the sudden intimacy between the two.

"God, I hate rush hour." Sarah mumbled underneath her breath as the moving around her slowed down, taking a step back. Mark stifled a laugh, seeing the girl's angry expression.

"Different city, same crowd." Mark said to Sarah, causing her to smile. She looked up at the map.

"We're getting off the next stop." She told him. Mark nodded, acknowledging her statement.

———————————————————————————

Look at this cutie :)