Chapter Twenty Six

There's no life without you

"My God." It was the first sound Angel had made in five minutes, since she'd gasped when he opened his eyes and stared off into the distance with a dazed, drugged gaze.

It was a soft, bare whisper but it had a hell of an effect on Kel. He simultaneously cut his gaze towards her and shoved away from the man kneeling beside him.

Toronto rose to his feet and walked over to the dryer, grabbing a rag from the basket on top. As he pressed it to his wound, he turned back to them. There was an expectant look on his face.

But Toronto no longer even existed for Angel. All she could see was Kel. If she was brave enough to lower her shields, she knew he would be all she could feel.

"Kel...?"

His lids flickered but he didn't say anything. He turned away from her. Wide shoulders rose and fell and he brought a hand up.

Edging around, she watched as he wiped the back of his wrist across his mouth. He shot her an unreadable glance and darted away. He bent and grabbed a shirt from the open duffle. He pulled it on as he circled around her and made his way towards the steps.

"Damn it, Kel, what in the hell are you doing?"

He stilled, braced one hand against the wall. He didn't look at her, but at least he finally said something. "Leaving, Angel. This, me, it's nothing you need in your life."

"Leaving...? Life?" She stalked across the cold, hard floor and grabbed his arm. Under her hand, his skin still felt cool, but not cold like earlier. "What life? There's no life without you. Not for me. There hasn't been, from the time I met you."

He slanted a glance at her but just as quick as their gazes met, he looked away again. "You haven't let there be."

His hand came up and he folded his fingers around her wrist, gently, but inexorably tugging until she let go. He lifted her hand and pressed it to his face, rubbing his stubbled cheek against her palm. His lids drooped low over his eyes and a soft, shuddering sigh escaped him. He turned his face into her palm and pressed a kiss there. "Goodbye, Angel."

Oh, hell no. Not now, she told herself, reaching for him again.

But he was already gone, moving on swift silent feet, moving so quickly her brain couldn't catch up with what her eyes saw.

She tore up the stairs, determined to catch him. He couldn't get away from her that easily. He was miles from town, on foot and even if he did move fast, he couldn't...

But he had. She burst through the front door and came to an abrupt halt. Overhead, the sky was becoming ever darker, but it was still just barely light enough to see. Light enough to see that her front yard was empty, as was the long, pitted drive that led out to the road.

"Kel..."

Dazed, she dropped onto her ass in the grass, her arms hanging limp and her eyes focused on the drive as though it would somehow reveal Kel to her.

When a pair of big naked feet appeared in her line of sight, she didn't react. Even when Toronto knelt by her side, she didn't do more than blink and continue to stare down the drive. But she couldn't bite back the words. "This isn't happening," she whispered, shaking her head. "It isn't. It can't be."

He sighed. "Come inside. It's cool out here and you've had a bad few days."

"Few days...no. A bad few years. Bad life." Feeling so completely lost, she lifted her gaze to his face. The compassion she saw on his features was more than she could handle and the tears began to well in her eyes. "I don't understand. Not any of it."