Chapter 1

Authors Notes:
Welcome everyone to my latest project, Summer Break. Unlike my other books I have no intention of putting authors notes like this at the beginning of every chapter, you will only hear from me when I have something to say. Right now I just want to get some things off my chest before I let this story begin.

First I'd like to thank the people on TurtleMe's discord server for encouraging me. Even though I have successfully written fanfic before, branching off into a new fandom made me nervous as I am "established" in my other fandom, where as here with this book I feel that I may be writing to a whole new crowd.

This book is based off of the story, "The Beginning After the End" by TurtleMe, and takes place after the end of book four, with a few minor changes. Now I'm sure there are plenty of you who are reading this and have never even heard of that story. Well you'll need to go to the app Tapas for that, and trust me it is well worth the time earning "ink" to read it, or you can do like me and buy the digital books from amazon. Now I highly recommend that you read the books, at least till the end of book four just so that you understand what's going on here and aren't completely lost.

Now without further ado, I present to you Summer Break, chapter 1. Enjoy.

"And even though the guards are here, keep an eye open for students stealing, especially the ones graduating. Director Goodsky told me nearly fifty gold worth of property was stolen last year, and nearly all of it by students who graduated," Claire Bladeheart informed the group.

It had been nearly six months since the attack on the Xryus Academy and a lot has changed. Immediately following the attack, Director Goodsky extended the week long break that was coming as to formulate a plan and put it into effect. The students returned to the school to find three dozen knights, one dozen from each of the three races, assigned to ensure the safety of the students and ensure that an attack on the academy never happened again. In addition to the knights, a different Lance was also stationed at the academy every week. It was said that they were there to protect Xyrus as a whole, however most of the lances were never seen outside of the school, proving that the attack was more than what everyone thought. The only Lance not seen within the school was Barion, Lucas' brother. The truth of the matter was not made public, but Director Goodsky had refused to allow him on the campus, for fear that he would take revenge against Arthur, despite the protection order placed on him and his family by the council. Instead on the weeks he was assigned to Xyrus, Elder Virion, Tess's grandfather, was seen around the campus, along with several other silver core mages.

However the Director wasn't the only one to enact changes. Both Tess and Claire agreed that the student council and disciplinary committee needed to work more closely in case something ever happened like the attack again. Even though this was supposed to be an equal partnership, the disciplinary committee was the one that really benefited. With Kai being captured for betraying them, Doradrea killed, and Theodore left severally wounded to the point that he still hadn't returned to school yet, the disciplinary committee was left severely weakened, and there weren't a lot of people willing to accept their offer to join. In fact only one student agreed to join, Elijah. After he was able to break open the barrier the attackers were hiding behind, he was being noticed as someone truly powerful, despite passing out shortly after opening the barrier. The only one seen as more powerful was Arthur, who arrived just in time to save Elijah from being kidnapped by the leader of the attack. Who he then encased in ice so he could be kept as a prisoner, before he humiliatingly defeated Lucas after he also saved Tess.

As a result of this merger, Director Goodsky decided to have the disciplinary committee move into the same building as the student council. Although many suspected she had already planned on this as the building originally didn't have enough room for the additional students before the break, and had an additional floor added by the time they returned.