Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Missing Piece

The Missing Piece

I stepped inside Dante’s bedroom and for a minute lost the ability to speak.

Again.

His place was enormous, decorated in all sleek black and dark leather. The only color came from several strategically placed Tiffany lamps around the room. Each expensive lamp gave off a warm glow that was definitely more inviting than the naked light bulb I had in my bedroom. As eye catching as these lamps were with their color catching glass panels, they were nothing compared to the rest of the room. Dante's bed was so ridiculously enormous it took up one entire wall. Worse than that, he had a plasma TV so gigantic, I was pretty sure the last movie I’d gone to see inside a theater had been shown on a smaller screen.

“Oh. My. Gawd! This is your room! Seriously?” It was like something out of a magazine. He could sleep like seven people in his bed alone. Not to mention the sheets looked satin - probably some really expensive kind too if I was any kind of judge. Ugh, his room was so great I just wanted to punch Dante in his perfect face. 

What a jerk. I’d been sleeping on a crappy cot in a room full of dust, spider webs, and killer hornets while he got to lounge on a bed that belonged in the Playboy mansion. Where was the justice in that?

I glared daggers at him. "You suck Dante. You do know that, right?"

“Don’t be a hater,” he remarked, walking past me and tossing Chase on his stupidly large bed. He didn't even twitch.

“Don’t be a hater? Have you even seen the room I’ve been sleeping in, or that dinky little cot? You couldn’t even lend me a pillow? God, Dante you are so messed up,” I said disgustedly.

He just sighed like I was beyond irritating and crossed the room to the far wall. He had long shelves built into every wall to look like embedded bookcases. They ran the entire length of the room, except for the side where the windows looked out onto the street.

Dante stopped in front of the longest wall, right in the center. As I watched, he raised his hands to the edge of the centermost bookcase and pushed. The entire portion of the wall slid back easily. Shoving the whole middle section aside, he revealed a large stone wall just behind the bookcases. Set into the wall were four thick black iron chains that ended in inch thick manacles.

I didn’t even want to know what he used them for, but I had to admit, it was a little morbidly fascinating to wonder about it.

Dante walked over to the bed and bent down to grab Chase again. Before picking him up he looked over at me, “Go to the wall. When I get him over there, lock him in – each wrist, each ankle. I’ll hold him still until it's done.”

I nodded jerkily and walked over to the far side of the room to Dante’s little secret wall. He brought Chase over and held him up. Without wasting any time I locked Chase in the irons. When I was done, Dante checked my work, making sure each restraint was locked good and tight. I didn’t want to admit it but I was really glad he was there. This wouldn’t have been something I could have done on my own – at least not without some real preparation.

And some old school prison accessories.

When he was satisfied everything was all good, he looked at me again. His eyes were dark inside the room, “I'm going to wake him up now, Eliza. He won't be able to see me. He's going to think he’s alone inside this room with you. When he wakes up, he’ll be lucid for a few minutes only. You have to kiss him before Lust has time to take him over again. Your window of opportunity will be brief, no more than three minutes at the most. Do you understand?”