Chapter 23

'You're back!" Aileana screamed, launching herself at Alizeh just as she set foot inside the familiar flat

'You're back!" Aileana screamed, launching herself at Alizeh just as she set foot inside the familiar flat. Alizeh hugged her tight and took in a full breath. The place smelled of instant noodles and strong detergent and it smelled like home.

"You made noodles?" Alizeh asked, gently peeling Aileana off her. Flopping down on her bed, she began to unpack her backpack.

"That's the only thing I know," Aileana winked, "but today's there's a surprise. I've found a moderately decent fast food joint and once Nina is home, I'd like to go partying. I'm tired of being cooped up in this hellhole."

"Sure," Alizeh smiled, throwing off her sandals and spread out her body on the bed.

"You actually listened to my crazy idea," Aileana too climbed in with her and she scooted aside to make space. "How about drinks?"

"No drinks, man," Alizeh smiled, but added quickly on seeing Aileana's face fall, "But you all can go have your drinks. I can get something non-alcoholic."

"Done! We'll all wear our dresses today then."

"Okay girl!" Alizeh nodded. Aileana hugged her again, drawing her closer. This touch felt more personal, more intimate. Without meaning to, Alizeh stiffened.

"What's wrong?" Aileana's face was a mask of surprise.

"Nothing," Alizeh sat up straighter. "Actually, I have an idea."

Aileana cocked her head to one side, ready to listen.

"Well, my employer is a dress designer. What if she employs you too? I think I can speak to her. Then you'll be out of the cloud too," Alizeh remembered Arya's business cover.

"That'd be so good," Aileana's eyes glistened.

"What's you two conspiring without me?" Nina entered just then, with her luggage in tow.

"Your demise," Aileana replied without batting an eyelash.

"What's wrong with the two of you?" Alizeh groaned.

"She proposed to me once and I bro-zoned her. Since then she has a grudge," Nina trilled, putting away her luggage.

"You wish!" Aileana rolled her eyes.

"Guys. Let's not start again. Look what I got for you guys! I'm glad you mentioned he dresses, Aileana," Alizeh reached into her bag and pulled out her neatly wrapped gifts and handed them to her roommates. They both started unwrapping with surprise in their eyes. Aileana's was an off the shoulder cocktail party midi dress with an irregular side slit and short sleeves.

"Burgundy! My favourite." Aileana squealed, rushing off to the bathroom to change.

"This is gorgeous. Thank you," Nina stroked the blue satin of her simple knee-length flaring dress, "How did you know I love turtle neck?"

"Stalked you on Instagram," Alizeh winked, taking out her dress. It was a simple georgette with a shimmery lace cover and a scalloped off the shoulder neckline.

"You'd look fabulous in a dress."

"I'm not too sure, man," Alizeh sighed. "I have body image issues as you know. I look bulky in dresses."

"I've never seen you look more stunning than you were in the red jumpsuit." Nina mused. "I wish we could dress that lavish."

"So," Alizeh was wary now as she lowered her voice, "it was you. I guessed right."

"I'm not sure I want to be a part of this End Game," her voice sounded sad.

"Nina!" Alizeh reprimanded, just as soft footsteps sounded at their back.

"What End Game?" Aileana asked casually, twirling in front of the mirror.

"You look stunning. I bet there'll be guys falling left and right on you," Nina brought some excess cheer in her voice, moving to hug her in an exaggerated gesture.

"Whoa. Easy there," Aileana laughed, "You both better dress up too."

"Yeah, sure!" Alizeh let out a breath she didn't realise she had been holding.

Soon they were all dressed and touching up their makeup before the lone mirror on the dresser. "Damn stretch marks," Alizeh mumbled, trying to pull down nonexistent sleeves over her hands.

"A tiger has stripes," Nina announced, giving her a sloppy peck on the cheek.

Soon they had collected their purses and shuffled out of their home. They hailed a CloudCab which took them to the market district. The street where they were deposited smelled of grilled meat and seasoning vinegar. The shops were brightly lit and welcoming, unlike the rest of the cloud. No doubt this was the only entertainment hub of their gloomy base.

"There!" Aileana bobbed up and down in her little dress, pointing at a store. It had a neon hoarding saying 'Trinka's' in a bright blue fancy script. The dimly lit inside seemed to be milling with people. "There's a bar to one side," Aileana announced, shouting over the sound of the nightlife.

"No!" Alizeh sighed as Aileana scampered off for a drink.

"Snacks and drinks are on me," Nina offered.

"Sure," Aileana waved from the barstool. "I'm coming in a while."

"White sauce pasta and a chocolate brownie waffle please," Nina ordered at the snacks parlour, "And you?"

"Mushroom penne pasta and a honey-almond brownie." Alizeh smiled.

"So, you aren't exactly working as a maid there," Nina asked, settling comfortably on a cushioned chair. "No. I'm a personal assistant to my Lady," Alizeh replied, not wanting to elaborate more.

"Cynthia is an ass," Nina whined.

"Nina, listen," Alizeh held her shoulders and looked into her eyes. "I don't know how much Cyanide has told you about this gang, but I think she'd appreciate you not going about babbling to everyone about it. We need to keep our identities a secret. Nobody knows us there."

"But I know you," Nina protested.

"And I know you," Alizeh confirmed, "but that wasn't supposed to happen. You can't call me Alizeh. I'm Z, you're Nickel Sodium. We aren't friends there, just associates. There's a huge risk of us establishing bonds within the circle. This gives opponents the added advantage of knowing you have a weakness. It's easy to blackmail you by getting hold of him or her."

"Ash!" Nina's face was pale.

"Yes. Never tell about Ash, Aileana or me in there..."

"Never tell Aileana what?" Aileana was standing over them, drinks in her hand, frowning. And from her expression, it was evident that she had heard quite a bit.

 And from her expression, it was evident that she had heard quite a bit