Identities

"I thought you didn't like to play the hero."

"Doesn't mean I don't know how." 

Chapter 2

"But who IS he?"

Cyborg and Beastboy were getting bored. So far they had played 3 rounds of Super Ninja Fury, 2 rounds of Mega Monkeys 4, and 5 rounds of raven-bugging (which ended with a black eye).

And STILL no bad guys to defeat.

and BB and Cy's favorite conversation topic besides comparisons of real meat and tofu...

was Red X.

"This again?" Raven groaned from the couch. "Our battle last night must've really made you miserable." 

Cyborg slid into the room in bad Red X cosplay. "Think about it, Rae! He's mysterious, he's athletic, he even knew how to get past my tower security system!"

Beastboy flexed a pose. "He's just like Robin."

Cyborg spit-whispered into Raven's ear. "But cooler."

Raven made a face, then scooted away to avoid robot oil getting into her ear. "It's like you guys have crushes on him." Before the best friends could protest the accusation, Raven spoke up again. "Speaking of which, where's that walking traffic light? We're supposed to go to a poetry reading together."

Cyborg shook his head, and made airquotes. "Solo Mission." 

Raven's indigo eyes narrowed. "Real-ly." 

-

There were reasons why this needed to be a solitary venture.

Gotham had been rough, but last night was the first time the Titans had the emptiness of death staring them right in the face. 

It was like his parents all over again.

Robin knew Batman had shielded him from the rough cases, the ones where even the almighty Dark Knight could do nothing about.

If he couldn't ensure the same protection for his friends, then what could he do?

Robin mumbled in confusion as he cross-matched the autopsies with other recent murder cases. In every other situation, the victims had their essence stripped away by swift bullets, so quick it was almost painless. Robin frowned. The scene in the alleyway was gruesome, so gory that even Raven seemed a little freaked out.

Whatever it was, it certainly wasn't Slade's style.

His time with the assassin was short, but lasting enough for Robin to analyze his villainous technique. The madman operated in the shadows, betraying just enough of his agenda to raise suspicions while still being shrouded in mystery. The only time Slade let intentions slip to the public was when his plan was in motion, and even then the true objective was guarded.

So why had he left such an incriminating note?

Deep in a swirl of confliction, Robin barely noticed the gentle tap of knocks at his door. He realized who it was when the scent of strawberries and sugar came striding past the corrider and to his desk. There was an unspoken rule of the tower that Starfire was the only one allowed into Robin's room unannounced, as her quiet presence was the only thing that could pull him through an exhausting case.

Unfortunately, today was not one of those days. 

"Robin, the team is going to partake in the earthly tradition of movie night. Do you wish to-"

"No." The voice Starfire heard was sharp and unfamiliar, the tortured side of Robin that she never wished to see.

"You have been residing in your room for many hours." Starfire's voice saddened, and Robin could feel feet touching down to the ground as her joy of flight faltered. "I merely wished to help."