Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

            I think that I am slowly losing my mind. I still had a lot of my energy and it made me screw up my normal routine a bit, which normally I would be fine with, but the fact that the pain in my chest was there as well, made it worse.

            From slamming on the brakes yesterday and slamming on my seatbelt and steering wheel, I had hard bruises on my chest. I couldn’t breathe that well now, It hurt to sleep unless I was on my back, which is how I never sleep. So I did not have a good night’s rest. I had a pack load of painkillers, but I couldn’t take them because I knew that they would only make me drowsy and I still had plenty of work and prospect things to do. The guys were mostly busy with their prisoner, so they weren’t really around the shop, which made it a lot easier on me. Walking stiffly and working slower wouldn’t go too unnoticed.

            Plus it made it easier to have my music player and not have the guys bother me. Listening to my music helped me to spend my mind on different things while working. It would hopefully help me spend energy during the day. I couldn’t even think about having my run this morning, that’s why my energy wasn’t spent. I didn’t have my ‘me time’ and it was making me lose my mind. I left out of my runs before, but I didn’t have searing pain in my chest every time I tried to take a small little breath. I couldn’t move without feeling pain. And without painkillers, I knew that this was going to be one hell of a day.

            I was working on a car, almost finishing it before I would need to work up the paper and bills for it, which I knew would be easier. I could sit on my ass and do that with no problem about feeling pain from working, bending over on my chest in this car. I could scarcely breathe.

            It also felt nice to keep the earphones in because it kept me distracted from what I knew the guys were doing to their prisoner. I was wondering if they broke too many bones yet. If he would need a patch up. Things got nasty around here when it meant prisoners, on both ends. I knew that risk coming in, but I didn’t like the animalistic features that the club would get. It would hit the atmosphere and that was not what I needed right now. I knew what the club did, how they got business done, and the results of it. At least, for how much I have seen. It has been no one innocent, like a child. I knew the guys wouldn’t do that. Not even as a last resort. Their hearts could be mixed, but I couldn’t imagine them killing a child. Most of them had families of their own.

            But still, I was glad to be away from the atmosphere right now. I knew that they would probably need us prospects to clean up the mess, the blood. Hell maybe even his body.

            For right now, at least, I was listening to my music and working. I could get away from that thought in my head. It was a good thing that I wasn’t queasy to the sight of blood. I think I’ve seen more than a doctor has.

            I was listening loudly to Wind Him Up by the Sagas, humming to myself as I did so, fixing the engine of the car when I suddenly felt a hand clamp down on my shoulder. I jumped, causing me to bite my tongue so that I didn’t groan. I looked over and saw Chibs standing there. I let out a small breath and pulled out my earbuds, moving to shut off the player.

            Chibs chuckled and told me, “that’s a good song.”

            Smiling, I nodded, “definitely. Can I help you Chibs?”

            He looked at me and let out a sigh before he said, “no easy way to say this, Row, but I need you to pull up your shirt.”

            I was silent for a couple of seconds, staring at him weirdly as he was standing there, not moving and was silent. After those couple of seconds, I let out a small chuckle. Fuck that hurt.