chapter twenty-four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Jared's house in Providence was huge.

And no, I'm not exaggerating. He had a Victorian-era home with a wrap-around porch, a vast lawn, and a long driveway packed with cars. There was even a Porsche. Yes, as in the fancy, expensive car. Two of them were parked out front. The whole place was well-manicured and picturesque, like a dollhouse.

Obviously, I was gaping.

He blushed, rubbing the back of his neck. "I might have more money than God in my inheritance."

I let out a low whistle. "Wow."

"I didn't tell you about my rich parents," he realized slowly. "Jesus, baby, I'm sorry."

"Why?" I asked, genuinely at a loss.

"Because your financial situation is nowhere near what ours is and I feel like I'm bragging by bringing you around here and showing off my wealthy family." He winced as if his behavior embarrassed him. "I should've thought this through."

"Jared, you're being irrational," I interrupted. "Are you just looking for things to be freaked out about or are you genuinely concerned about this?"

He considered this. "You should consider a psychology major."

"I mean it, Jared, just breathe. I'm the one who should be freaking out. My boyfriend is introducing me to his family. What if they don't give me their blessing?"

"Blessing for what? Are you planning on getting hitched, baby? Not that I object..." he trailed off, the smile on his face wicked.

"You're about two seconds from getting smacked, Jared," I warned.

He leaned over the center console and cupped my cheeks in his hands before kissing me softly. "I love you. Remember that."

I pulled back, cocking my head. "Okay. You're acting weird. Is something wrong?"

He answered quickly, too quickly. "No, everything is fine."

I knew he was lying, but I elected not to press him on it. He climbed out of his car and popped the trunk. As I climbed out of the passenger seat, I watched him throw his arms above his head and say, "Home sweet home."

I giggled and heaved our overnight bag over one shoulder. "You're funny."

"I know. My sense of humor is out of this world." He put an arm around my hips, his fingers dancing along the fabric of my dress. "Remember, blink twice if you feel threatened."

"Would you stop? You're only making me more nervous than I already am!"

We didn't say much more than that because a petite blonde woman was throwing open the front door to greet us. She stood a couple of inches shorter than me, which says a lot because I'm only average height, with the same eyes as Jared and the same wild curls, just a few shades lighter. She pushed her glasses up her nose and narrowed her eyes at my boyfriend.

I could feel the ferocity coming off of her before she said a word.

"Jared Mason Harper, are you gonna stand there catching flies or are you gonna give your mother a hug?"

I fought a smile as she dragged him into a huge bear hug, nearly knocking him to the ground. When she finally let him go, his cheeks were pink as he muttered, "Hey, Ma."

She glanced over at me, beaming. "She's so pretty, Jared! Goodness me! I'm not sure what I expected when he was telling me all about this Laura of his, but you are definitely worth the anticipation. Oh, where are my manners? I'm Trina Harper, Jared's mom. But I suppose you gathered that already. Hey, darling! Welcome to the family."