The Other Side

I am made by the Force. I am the anti-thesis of the Earth. I have no shape, size, body, colour or height. But I’m not invisible. Humans can’t see me. Spirits can. They see me as someone, with whom they can be the most comfortable with. Their desire gives me shape.

Humans think I am cruel. They think I am selfish and evil. That I’m devoid of emotions. That’s correct. I was born without a heart. Therefore, I can’t have feelings. Any feelings at all. Hence, I can’t be cruel or selfish.

You might be thinking that, then why do humans think so low of me?

I'll tell you.

That’s because of my job. I admit that my job isn’t something everyone can do. It’s pretty dark and if you have a heart, you are weak.

While doing my job, I often see souls, frightened and distraught. But as soon as they see me, they relax. You see, souls do not hate me. At least not all souls. Some of them do. The heartless ones. Humans hate these souls as much as they hate me. But for me, I love all of them. I can't differentiate among the souls I take. They are like my children.

There had been instances when a soul is desperate to linger on. Hold on to dear life. Honestly, I appreciate their efforts, but I’m the only one of my kind; so I’m pretty busy all the time.

2020, has been a pretty busy year for me. I don’t know what the Force plans but, I'm of great importance to them this year. When I visited Australia this year, I didn’t see the normal beautiful, blue skies, green vegetation and fluffy white clouds. Instead, I saw an orange- crimson sky. Quite frankly, it looked wonderful but… it didn't feel right. The forest. Those animals. Those petrified, innocent souls. There were so many souls to carry that I had to revert back often. It was sad to see a Mother Koala Bear dying but her baby surviving. Somehow. Her baby was so small… so young to survive in this wildfire. I wanted to keep the baby. But I couldn’t. The Force doesn’t allow me to do that. 

Then there were those selfless firefighters. Risking themselves to save other species. Actually, I needed some of these souls in my realm too. I had to take them too. It was a rough month.

I took frequent trips to China this year. People were dying. The Force told me that now, I have to take world trips. I was confused. People started dying in thousands in a single day in China. I went to Italy, I faced the same situation. Thousands of souls to carry in a single day from these countries. I wish I had someone to help me. I went to USA, France, Spain, London and India. Some of the poor people died due to lack of facilities, some due to absence of a vaccine… and some just couldn’t take it anymore. The souls I took back home, were relieved, to have finally escaped their horrendous medical condition. I did my best to calm them. A small Canadian girl named Kristen once told me that humans think I look like a grim reaper. (Frankly, I don’t hate that idea. It sounds pretty cool… maybe for a Halloween costume?)

Friends. Family. Relatives. There is no one who can meet each other in person. The souls I carry back to my realm, have been talking amongst themselves about such things. I asked the Force about Their plans. I didn’t understand what They said, “Time can be unfaithful.”

People were escaping from their countries to a safer place. The Earth was under a lockdown. There were no jobs, no schools, no entertainment, no joy… no aliveness. Poor men and women travelled miles on feet from one place to another to get back to their homes, towns, villages because of the lack of money, food, water and opportunity in the migrated cities.

Sometimes, few of my souls are sent back to the Earth in the midst of this pandemic. This saddens me. I can’t stay away from my children. Not a single one of them. When I told about my thoughts to The Force, They said, “You’ll be going to bring them back here in no time.”

They keep saying that to console me. My children usually come back after 80 years. However, this time the Force intended to keep Their promise. I was ordered to bring back the soul of an infant. I was happy to bring them back but when I saw the parents, crying over the death of their baby, I was devastated. I wanted to ask the Force, why do you send them back? Why do you send them for such a small period of time? Why are you even killing everyone? But I am not allowed to question the Force's powers.

Another time, I was roaming about in a city when I saw people on the streets. Not standing. Not sitting. Not walking or talking. But lying. Breathing but barely living. I questioned the Force and They said, “Gas Leak.” I wasn’t informed about that! Gas Leaks are one of the most painful ways of killing a person. In fact, even the spirit suffers the aftermath. I was up all night, touching the heads of the poor victims, lying there, with their eyes and mouth open, their tongues stained black and with the most pitiable expression on their faces. The spirits were weeping. The land cried. The colours faded. The unborn baby inside the womb of the pain-stricken mother, died… and its soul wailed… the sound still ringing clearly in my ears.

In a city in India, the Force planned Their cyclone. The Tropical Cyclone. The Force told me, this will be a very big task for me. I thought to myself, again? Isn’t a pandemic, a gas leak, a wildfire enough to kill these poor souls, that a cyclone has to be planned? When I visited the city after the super cyclone, I had to take souls of thousands of trees. Trees, as old as 200 years old. They have seen so much, heard so much, witnessed so much… yet they are young. I don’t like bringing back the souls of trees. They are very fragile at heart. They are lovely beings… who love Earth more than anything. This time, people were less, but the city was striped naked. Broken trees, electric polls, buildings, traffic signals, street lights, bundles of glass everywhere, water logging everywhere…

This city was now devoid of everything. Some people were rendered homeless. Some of them didn’t have food. Some didn’t have electricity. Some didn’t have Internet. I couldn’t take it anymore. I saw a small boy struggling to live. There was no hope for him. I wanted to tell him, “Everything is alright. I’ll make it go away.” But that’s strictly prohibited.

The Force still has plans for me. I don’t know if They are punishing the Earth or me. To be honest, I am tired. I am beat. Not because of the daily struggle of bringing souls. But of the suffering I see of people. I haven’t been stricken with grief any time before. I don’t have a heart. I shouldn’t have feelings. But I do. And these emotions are stronger and deadlier than any humane emotions. Because these emotions are throatless and inhumane.

So you see. I’m not cruel. I am bound to obey the laws of The Trinity. I’m not completely heartless. I have emotions without the heart.

I know, in no way I can help you to survive. But I can assure you, if you are fighting too hard for your life and yet there seems no hope, you’ll see me. I’m not ghastly. I have the aura, the power to make your nerves relax. It wouldn’t hurt. It's quicker than falling asleep. You just need to have faith. Faith in letting go, faith in yourself and faith in me, Death.

~~~

This story was written in mid-May 2020. I'm sorry many incidents that happened after the above time period are not compiled here. Please don't feel offended as this wasn't my intention.
Although, if anyone of you want another part of 'The Other Side' then I might try to make one.
Thank you :)