Chapter 43 - SNOW

Winter had arrived and Jake had noticed how much bleaker and lifeless everything was without the sun. But even in winter being outside had to be better than staying in the basement staring at a wall every day for a month. One week in and Jake was going crazy and didn't think he could really handle another 3 weeks of this.

Day 7 of the wall punishment and Ryan and Tony were supervising Jake today. Alex had been around a lot lately but he had to have a day off sometimes. Today Danny and Chloe were in the house too as it was a Saturday. They came to the basement and expressed their concern and disapproval

''I really think Jake's had enough of this now'' Chloe said ''It's been a week and a week is enough''

''Alex said a month and a month he will do'' Ryan said

''I say he has had enough'' Danny said ''I want to stop this now''

''You want to disobey the rules again?'' Tony asked him ''you really want your father to give you the strap again?''

Danny was surprised that Ryan and Tony knew about that ''You know about that?'' He asked them ''Sure we do'' Tony replied with a laugh ''Alex tells Ryan and me everything and he told us how you were a naughty boy and took Jakey outside and Jakey tried to escape and daddy punished you with 30 hard strokes of the strap'' Tony and Ryan laughed and mocked Danny and Danny was angry that Alex had told them and Chloe was sensing how Danny felt ''Stop now boys please'' She said ''You are upsetting my brother''

''The point is I want to take Jake away from the wall now'' Danny said ''Alex isn't here and I am sick of how he gets his own way all the time. He always goes too far and it has to stop''

Jake suddenly turned around from the wall to speak ''I will do what Master Danny tells me to do now'' he said defiantly to Ryan and Tony

''GET YOUR FACE BACK ON THAT WALL BOY'' Ryan yelled at him

''NO I WON'T'' Jake yelled back, walking over to stand with Danny and Chloe. ''I will do what Master Danny tells me to do''

Danny gave Jake permission to go upstairs with him and Chloe and watch some television ''you wait until Alex hear about this; he will go mad'' Ryan told them but they ignored him

Later on, when Ryan and Tony told Alex about it he was very angry about it and he confronted Danny about it

''Why do you go against my orders?'' he demanded to know ''carry on like this and I will tell dad about it and you'll face the strap again man''

''Look just understand one thing'' Danny replied ''you're not the only one who makes decisions here you just think you are. I have a say in what happens to Jake too and right now I say he has had enough of the wall punishment''

''Well, I said he has to do a month and I damn well meant it! He is a weak soldier and he also opened his big mouth and said some things he should not have said, he overstepped the mark big time and he had to get punished''

''He has not even had any fresh air for a week'' Danny continued ''Another 3 weeks with no chance to go out in the garden and have fresh air is too harsh I say''

''Oh, so you want him to have some fresh air instead of being in the basement, do you? oh, I see'' Alex went to look out of the window. It was cloudy and dark with heavy snow falling. ''I agree now that you mention it, I've had a moment to think about it and I agree Jake should go outside for some fresh air right now''

Danny walked over to the window and looked at the snow, it was freezing outside ''I don't mean right now'' He said fretfully ''not when it's snowing and it's so cold and dark, I meant maybe in a day or two when the weather is a bit better''

''Oh no I have decided after a week he needs to go out for some fresh air immediately. you were right and made me see sense Dan, well done

''I didn't mean to send him outside right now in the snow and you know it''

Alex ignored him and went to the basement to get Jake. He made Jake go outside in just his t-shirt and shorts and stand there in the snow. Alex sat at the kitchen table to keep an eye on Jake from the window. Danny also came to the kitchen looking annoyed and worried ''How long will you make him stay out there for?'' Danny asked ''As long as I want'' came Alex's usual cocky reply ''It's not a good idea to leave him out there for too long you know, it will make him ill'' After half an hour Donald came to the kitchen and Alex explained what was happening with Jake. Danny also explained that half an hour should be long enough and it was time to let Jake come back in. Donald decided to go out and see how Jake was doing so he put on his coat and boots and went out into the snow and the cold. A cruel wind was also blowing and Donald felt cold even in his coat

He walked towards Jake. Jake was freezing of course ''Please Sir, let me come in now'' he pleaded. Donald stood and looked at Jake for a moment and didn't speak to him. He then turned and started to walk away ''PLEASE SIR I'VE HAD ENOUGH, PLEASE LET ME COME IN NOW PLEASE'' Jake begged but Donald ignored him and went back inside, leaving him in the snow and the wind.

After another half hour, Alex and Donald finally decided that an hour was long enough and, after some more complaints from Danny and Chloe, finally let Jake come back inside

''From now on you have a choice'' Alex told him ''if you want fresh air instead of the wall you can have it, but that will mean standing in the snow and the cold again. which one would you prefer to do?''

''I'll stick with the wall'' Jake replied, defeated as usual

''I thought you might'' Alex said, cocky and smug as usual