Episode 8: nOT a DAyDREam

"I'll be back in four days."

-M

A small bouquet of light blue flowers tied with a blue satin ribbon sat in front of my door. A small note attached to them made it clear who it was from. Marcus.

My heart was beating so fast and I couldn't help the smile creeping itself onto my face. "I saw your boyfriend this morning," Said a voice. I turned to see my neighbor Jack. "He left that for you, its cute. Forget-me-not flowers, really creative. Guy's got game," He said. I felt my cheeks heat up, I looked down. "He seems kinda serious," He added. "Walkin' around in his thousand dollar Armani suit, seriously I googled it. The suit was a thousand dollars. And the watch, don't get me started on the watch. Honestly Lora, is he a government spy?" Jack asked. I laughed, "What?" I said. "Or maybe he's running a Ponzi scheme at that fancy firm you work at. Wait, Russian spy? Don't tell me, high profile assassin who plays by his own rules and can't disclose information about his job because if he told you he'd have to kill you!" Jack continued.

I laughed harder clutching my stomach. Jack smiled at me. "Its good to see you smiling," He said. "Thank you," I replied still fighting off laughter. He looked at me for a moment, "Well, I'm glad someone I know had a good day today. Congrats on the rich boyfriend," He said opening his door. I didn't correct him, I only watched him wave goodbye as he opened his door.

Forget-me-not flowers. And I was worried that he had forgotten about me. My smiled grew wider, I couldn't contain the fluttery feeling in my stomach. I quickly put the flowers in a vase.

I set the note on the counter. I felt like I was daydreaming.

But it wasn't, it wasn't a daydream. Marcus Dane had set flowers outside my door.

Ring! Ring!

I picked up my phone. "Hello?" I said. "Hey sweetheart, are you busy this weekend?" My mother spoke from the other line. "Um no," I said. "Good, your brothers in town and I was wondering if you wanted to come for dinner," She said. I sighed, I knew it wasn't a suggestion. "Yeah, I can come over. When?" I asked. "Oh perfect! All my children in the same house just like when you were kids! Saturday evening but be sure to be here around two to help with cooking," She said. "Ill get your old room ready," She said. "That won't be necessary, Ill just take the train back," I said. "Don't get formal with me! What is 'that won't be necessary'? If you don't want to spend the night at your mothers house then thats fine. Its not like I raised you," She grumbled.

I took a deep sigh. She was just trying to guilt you. "Its not that, I had plans on Sunday," I said. "Well why didn't you make your plans known when I asked if you were busy this weekend? You said you weren't remember? You don't have to lie to get away from your family Lora," She said condescendingly.

"If I say yes will you drop this?" I said. "Yes," She said. "Fine, I'll stay over," I said. Her demeanor flipped entirely. "Yes! I can't wait to see you my darling! Family weekend!" She said hanging up. There goes my weekend, I really needed it after a stressful week.

My family wasn't as close as they thought they were. My parents loved my brother so much. He was an athlete is high school which allowed them to full fill there roles as involved sports parents. They loved him a lot and always made it known, even if it ment blatantly ignoring their socially awkward daughter. Just because they paid more attention to my brother didn't actually mean they were closer. It was all superficial. They liked how they could show off there athlete son. And my brother didn't really care, he was an egotistical asshole. Joined a frat in college while perusing an MBA and now works in some high paying office job in Miami. He's exactly the way he sounds, matter of fact he was a lot like my coworkers.

My relationship with parents had never really developed because of how superficial everyone in that house hold was. Your family is supposed to be the ones who love and care for you no matter what. But they treated me like the loser I was in high school. I couldn't escape petty social hierarchy even in my own home. They also enabled my brothers awful attitude and held both of us to separate standards. My job was much more impressive then my brothers was but they acted like he cured cancer while ignoring my accomplishments. I realized a long time ago that I was different from those people and it was just better to distance myself from them but sometimes they would worm there way back into my life.

I shook my head. I really didn't want to deal with my brother. Last time I saw him was Christmas day dinner with my whole family. If I recall correctly, he didn't even speak to me. He was to busy with my uncles and cousins.

Unfortunately, I would have to see him this weekend. Ugh.