Chapter 34

I woke up at the same time as every day for my run. Deciding to not go back to my room I head to a library close to the mess hall. Grabbing a book on rare edible and medicinal plants I sit comfortably reading.

The bell rings signalling the wake of the base. Staying where I am I wait for the others to change. Hearing their loud chatter down the hall I put my book back and walk out to meet them. Sam spots me first waving "hey Kaindra we were wondering where you went."

Sliding into step beside them I wait for the others to finish talking. "I decided to stay up and went to a library to pass the time."

We chat into the mess hall to the table. Jen bounces in her seat. "Did you hear we got almost five hundred new people five hundred can you believe it."

"Oh, you bet I can I have to lead around a group today. All in our age range too."

We chat about random things. I spot a few in my group coming our way. They stop at our table looking at me. The others around me stop talking looking at them. I fold my hands together putting my elbows on the table. "Hello, do you guys need anything?"

The taller of the two as I see his name on his name tag, Damon speaks up. "We were wondering what we are doing today?"

"Well, I was going to give you a tour of the base. Help you get any clothes you might need and let you see what the different professions are." He nods looking at his friend. I don't like the feeling I am getting from most of the group that came in. "I am done with my food if you and the others are them we can go now."

Damon gives me a forced smile "yep we are all done." He watches me closely as I say my goodbyes picking up my plate.

They follow me as I drop my plate in the water bin. I plaster on a friendly smile "lead the way to the others."

They lead me to a table in the far corner where the others reside. Damon nods to them they stand up turning to me. Nodding to myself I lead them out of the mess hall. "You guys remember where the nurse's wing is and the receptionist right?"

I look behind me my eyes catch Damon's. His eyes widen as I make eye contact. Looking away I wait for my answer. A black hair girl answers "yes we do we have a great memory."

Turning back around I divide to show them the classrooms first. "This is the hallway for the older kids mostly the teens. The hallway beside this one is for the younger kids below eleven."

They follow me closely as I lead them throughout the base. Damon's voice calls from behind me. "Can we see the profession areas next?"

"Of course," I say kindly.

I lead them to the mechanics. I convince one of the mechanics to lead us through the water and electrical areas. Some of them look at the areas in wonder.

I explain how each building is set up so if they get confused they should know where to go. We go to the laundry room looking at all the laundry machines and big bins.

I lead them to the storage rooms. "Okay, now I am going to show you guys the storage rooms. The first one is for objects like beds, dressers, and desks. In the second one, you guys will get to wander around more. It is clothes storage."

I open the doors to a big warehouse-like room. Stacked in rafters are chairs, desks, small beds, dressers, and more. I lead them through quickly telling them they can come back if they need to.

Leaving the storage room I wave to the manager of it as we leave. Going into the next room I open the doors with a flourish. "Now you may go and get anything essential. Remember only get what you need this is not a shopping trip. Maximum six of one thing got it."

They nod walking past me aw all over their faces. The room has rows upon rows of clothing. Shows are on one side of the room. Each age group and size is sectioned off for easy finding.

Damon stops standing beside me "this is a nice thing you are doing for us letting us come and get clothing."

I look at him, something is off about him. Judging by his appearance and the glow around him I think he is a demon. His words sound nice but the undertone signifies something else I can't figure out. "Just doing my job, we all got to come here when we arrived. You might want to go join them before they get all the good stuff."

He nods watching me closely "I will and thank you again." I give him a nod and a smile accepting his thanks.

He wanders off into the rows of clothes. Something is off about these people. I know all of them are not human. They seem nice but the way they word and say things gives me the chills.

Ignoring the feeling I watch from the door as they wander the rows. My sight has stayed on ever since my run. I am not turning it off until I feel comfortable with the new people here.

Twenty minutes later the whole group is back at the door. "Okay, we will go back to your rooms so you can put your stuff away. When we go back change into your winter clothes we are going outside."

Moans sound from the group "hey you need the tour I am not slacking off on giving you half of one."

"Then just slack off and give us half." Someone calls from the middle of the group.

Pushing off the door I stand my hands on my hips. "Sorry but no, if you don't like the cold bundle up." Turning on my heels I wave for them to follow.

The walk to their rooms is silent. I may put on a nice girl act for them but I am not all nice. I stand in the hall with my jacket in hand. Damon is the first to come out of his room. He walks over to lean on the wall beside me. "Do you know how to use all of those weapons?"

I look at my bow on the backpack and the daggers and sword at my waist. "Enough to get by," I say indifferently. Never reveal all your strengths to strangers keep your cards open.

He opens his mouth to speak but stops as more people come into the hall. We wait silently as the rest exit their rooms. Pushing off the wall they follow me.

Cold air brushes my face as we exit the building. Walking onto the loading dock I wave to a group of foragers who just got back from fishing. "Kaindra what a nice surprise showing the newbies around aren't yeah."

I wave to the foragers stopping at their trucks. "Yes I am Dustin, why aren't you with our group?"

"They needed some help with new kids. Just finished the beginner training they needed some experienced help for the first run."

I nodded giving him a real smile. "Well, it was nice to see yeah talk to you later." I wave to him letting him get back to work.

Turning to the group I motion to the loading dock. "This is the loading dock. This I where the foragers and raiders come to load onto buses and trucks and unload after they finish."

The group looks around at the loading dock. Some are hugging themselves in the cold. Damon looks at the forager's name tags and Dustin's badge then at mine. "You are a forager but why do you not have a name tag?"

Plastering on another smile I address Damon. "I got a badge after I finished my training. They are new foragers who have not yet finished their training. I was ahead in school so I skipped right into training after my first week."

Damon looks back to Dustin "and he is your groupmate?"
I nod "So you normally would be out with your group foraging?"

I shake my head at that "in the spring and summer I will again but I scout. I am the only one capable of being by myself so I scout for good patches in the snow."

"How are you the only one capable of going by yourself."

I wave him off "enough with the questions about me you can ask others about that. Let's go to the cattle."

Damon watches me as I walk past the cattle area. Hopefully, he doesn't get suspicious that would not be good.