Chapter 2

Josh has been a constant in Nathan's life since the day they met. However many years later, their friendship hasn't changed much, apart from Oliver sliding into the friend group around second grade.

Nathan wouldn't trade his friends for anything in the world, and on days when he was feeling particularly sappy, he'd even admit that he loves them like brothers. Annoying, and constantly fighting brothers, but brothers nonetheless. They stick together through whatever hardships high school might throw at them.

Oliver is the one with the actual brain - being the only one out of the three that could get good grades by just showing up to class - while Josh considered himself the muscle. And while Nathan doesn't like the role of leader of the group, his friends seem to think that his ideas were the best any of them can come up with. Besides, 'the leader' is a hell of a lot better than 'the face'.

They're an odd bunch. But their interests are mostly similar, and the time they spend together is always considered a good time.

"Can I copy your answers to that math assignment?" Josh asks when they exit the classroom and head towards the cafeteria for a much deserved - at least in Nathan and Oliver's case - lunch.

With a sheepish grin, Nathan shakes his head. "I haven't finished it yet," he confesses.

Josh snorts. "What about you?" he asks, turning to Oliver instead.

"I did mine during class."

"I'm staying late to finish it. If you're up for it, you can join me," Nathan offers.

"And hang out on the library? You know I hate the place."

"You hate it because it's quiet enough for you to hear your own thoughts," Oliver chuckles, and it's a small miracle that that quip doesn't spiral the conversation into a fight.

"No," Josh mutters. "I don't like it because the old lady by the front desk won't stop bugging me about some book I'm supposedly keeping from her. She's on something, I've never borrowed a book in my entire life." He shakes his head and turns back to Nathan, poking him on the shoulder. "Come on, let's head out and do something. I've fixed the hoop on my driveway."

But Nathan declines the offer. "I'm staying late," he says with a firm shake of his head.

"Nerd," Josh boos.

"At least I pass my classes," Nathan shoots back.

Josh shrugs. "Overrated."

"Say that when you get kicked off the team."

This time Nathan is part of the friendly squabble, having no trouble with teaming up with Oliver to remind Josh that a drop in grades would, without doubt, result in Coach Stephens kicking him out of the team. It only barely convinces Josh to promise that he'll turn in the assignments, and not without a fair deal of heavy sighs and dramatic groans.

"Fine," he mutters. "But I'm not stepping foot in the library. That place sucks."

Nathan and Oliver decide to take their small victory for what it is and leaves it at that.

ıllıllııllıllı

Despite their earlier conversation, Josh still complains when Nathan says goodbye after their last class and starts making his way towards the library. Nathan ignores all of Josh's attempts to persuade him not to. Unlike Josh, Nathan wanted to do well in school, and unlike Oliver, Nathan actually needed to work for his good grades.

He didn't visit the library very often, only at times when he needed to get a lot of school work done quickly. The world outside the library was filled with distractions and other - more fun - things to do.