Chapter 71

Sirius & Remus,

I hope this letter finds you well, School is good but I miss home. Severus says I'm homesick, it's odd because Spinner's End is the first home I've ever had. I didn't know I was capable of being homesick. Draco and Severus are doing fine. My name came out of the Goblet of Fire tonight, Severus is trying to get me out of competing. I don't know how my name got in the Goblet but I believe it has to do with Voldemort somehow, my scar has been hurting. It would be nice to see you two soon, say hi to Mrs. Whitely for me.

-Harry

Harry sighed and stuffed the letter into an envelope, he would send it out in the morning.

Too nervous to go back to the Gryffindor Common Room, Harry sat in the peaceful solitude Severus's office gave him.

He sat, staring into space, waiting for his guardian to return.

The door creaked open, making Harry jump.

"Severus?" He turned in his seat.

"I thought I told you to go to your dormitory," Snape frowned.

"I don't want to go there right now," Harry sighed, "I don't want to deal with anyone."

"Fair enough," Snape shrugged, sliding into the chair besides the raven-haired boy.

"What's going to happen?" Harry turned his head to look at the Professor.

"I'm not sure," Severus sighed, "I've been arguing but Bagman and Crouch won't budge."

"This is ridiculous," Harry huffed, "I didn't even put my name in the stupid goblet."

"I know," Snape nodded, "listen, I need to you be careful for Karkaroff."

"Karkaroff?" Harry raised an eyebrow, "the Dumstrang Headmaster?"

"Yes, he was a Death Eater," Snape rolled his eyes, "cowardly man."

Harry nodded, "ok."

"You should go back to your friends," Snape said.

"No," Harry groaned, "can't I just go home for the night?"

"No," Snape said firmly, "you'll be fine, you have classes tomorrow."

"Don't remind me," Harry grumbled taking his letter, "goodnight."

"Goodnight, Harry."

Harry walked down the empty corridors slowly, trying to put as much time between him and the rest of his house. Maybe they'll all be in bed by the time he got back. That was wishful thinking.

When he could stall no longer, he pushed through the portrait hole and entered the common room.

More than half of Gryffindor was crammed into the room, all staring expectantly at Harry.

"How'd you do it?" Fred grinned broadly as he broke the silence.

"Yeah, wicked," George said, walking over to pat Harry on the shoulder.

"I—I didn't," Harry stammered, scanning the room for Hermione, Ron, or even Ginny.

"C'mon mate! Tell us!" Lee Jordan pressured.

"Really, I didn't do anything," Harry frowned. Why was nobody believing him.

"Where's Ron and Hermione?"

"Dunno," the twins chorused.

Harry awkwardly walked through the crowd of Gryffindor's trying to ask him a multitude of questions. He didn't even get refuge inside his dorm where the other boys were already waiting.

"Mate! What happened," Seamus's jaw hung open.

"I dunno," Harry sighed, going over to his trunk. He looked over at Ron's bed but the curtains were already drawn.

"Are you competing?" Neville gasped.

"I'm not sure," Harry replied, "listen, guys, I'm going to go to bed."

"But—" Seamus started but Dean cut him off.

"Alright, g'night Mate."

With one last look at Ron's four-poster, Harry climbed into his bed and pulled the curtains closed.

>•<

Harry woke up the next morning, hoping the last night's events were merely a dream.

Ron's bed was empty, he must've already gone to breakfast.

Harry pulled on his uniform and tried to flatten his unruly hair before walking down the staircase to the Common Room.

Hermione nearly jumped on him as he came down the steps

"Harry!" Her eyes were wide, "what happened? Sorry I wasn't here when you got back, I've been up all night researching the Tournament."

"Find anything?" Harry asked miserably, realizing yesterday was not a dream.

"I was looking for a loophole to get you out of it," Hermione's face fell, "I couldn't find anything but I'm going to the library today to look more in depth."

"Thanks," Harry said, half-heartedly, "have you seen Ron?"

"No, he's left already?" Hermione frowned, "he wasn't acting like himself last night."

"I'm sure he's just waiting for us in the Great Hall," Harry said, "Snape's trying to get me out of the competition, you should've seen him last night, he was furious."

"I'm sure he'll find a way," Hermione said, looking hopeful, "we have to get permission from our guardians to visit Hogsmeade, I can't see how you can enter a deadly tournament on your own."

Harry laughed, "it doesn't make too much sense, does it?"

"No," Hermione giggled, "no, it doesn't at all."

The two of them walked through the corridors with their bags slung over their shoulders.

The Great Hall was louder than it typically was in the morning.

When Harry entered, conversation died down as heads turned to watch him with curiosity.

Harry's ears burned as he lowered his head and quickly made his way to his typically seat at Gryffindor.

Ron wasn't there, instead he was a ways down sitting with his brothers. In his normally seat, Ginny sat, a bored expression on her freckled face.

"You're the center of attention this morning, Harry," Ginny sighed as he and Hermione sat.

"Why is Ron down there?" Harry asked.

"Oh, don't mind him," Ginny waved and scrunched her nose, "he has a stick up his arse."

"Great," Harry groaned, pouring himself a glass of pumpkin juice, "I can't catch a break."

"You really do have terrible luck," Ginny said, taking a bite out of her muffin, "are you competing?"

"We don't know yet," Hermione answered for the raven-haired boy.

"Severus is trying to get me out of it," Harry explained, "he's furious."

"How'd your name get in the goblet to begin with?" Ginny lowered her voice.

"I'm not sure," Harry admitted, "I think someone put my name in on purpose."

"Who?" Hermione gasped.

"Severus thinks it might've been Karkaroff," Harry said.

"Karkaroff?" Ginny's face twisted, "the Durmstrang Headmaster?"

"Yes," Harry nodded, "he was a Death Eater."

Both girls went quiet upon the new information.

This year was going to be anything but normal.