Chapter 6

The party was being thrown at someone's actual house. I wasn't sure who owned it, but there were definitely girls there, like John had promised. Some looked older than high school, maybe college age but, then again, I was never good at telling how old girls were, especially when they wore practically no clothes and a ton of makeup.

Marc disappeared as soon as we got inside, which I should have expected. His friend, Taylor, walked over with us. He was the one I kept seeing hanging around Marc all over campus, and the one he was supposed to room with this year. The two of them talked the whole walk over there while I trailed behind, wondering why I had even agreed to come.

I found myself sitting in the corner of the main room of the house. Music blasted from some unknown speakers while everyone danced way too close together. I had a feeling the drinks they all had in their hand had some sort of alcohol in them.

At one point, John appeared in my line of vision. He was whispering into a girl's ear. Blonde hair pulled back into a messy bun, a shirt that showed off way too much cleavage and exposed her entire middrift, and shorts that barely covered her butt cheeks. Definitely the type of girl I expected John to be into, if I had to guess.

She seemed to be hanging onto every word he said, practically hanging off of him. I didn't blame her. The shirt he chose to put on for tonight hung tightly to his body. I didn't want to say I was jealous of that girl, but part of me wished I was the one hanging onto him instead of her.

A plastic cup blocked my sight and I looked up to see a girl standing next to me, offering me the drink.

"Oh, no," I said, shaking my head. "I'm okay."

She sat down next to me. "It's just soda, I promise. Unless you want me to go spike it, because I can do that."

I let out a small laugh, taking the cup. "Thanks." I sniffed the brown liquid. It smelled just like soda to me, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to smell the difference if there was something mixed in.

"I'm Izzy," the girl said. 

"Spencer."

She had long red hair that was pulled back into a single braid, which fell over her left shoulder. Her long-sleeved shirt wasn't nearly as revealing as all the other girls and I had a feeling she wasn't here for the same purpose as them, especially because she was over here talking to me.

I wanted to ask her why she came over to me, but I couldn't find the words to. I hadn't expected anyone to talk to me tonight, so I was a bit caught off guard. Thankfully, she gave me an answer without me ever having to ask.

"I hope you don't mind me coming over here," she said before taking a sip of her own drink. "You looked as out of place as I felt. Figured we at least had that in common."

I nodded, not sure what to say. Was it really obvious that I was uncomfortable here? I didn't want to leave without telling Marc I had left, but I hadn't seen him since we got here.

"I'm going to take a wild guess here, but you keep looking over at those two." She nodded over towards John and the girl. "Which one has your attention, the bitch or the asshole?"

I shook my head, holding back a laugh. "He's my roommate. You know him?"

"You're roomming with John Masters?" she asked, clearly shocked. "I thought he was with Marc Price. I should have known that sounded too fake to be true. The rumor-mill is getting out of hand."

"Oh, no. It's true. I'm the new kid that ended up in the room with them."

I sniffed the drink in my hand again. I was thirsty, so I was glad she brought something over, but I still wasn't entirely sure I could trust her.