Chapter Two - A Study in Sherlock

"You treated my father, knew him.  And I know that you have a past in working on police investigations," Caroline explained as Dr. Watson inspected the letter himself. 

"Yes, you're correct there. And you're sure the letter is from him?"

"He was the one and only person who called me Carol."

"Is that the gift?" he asked, nodding to the string of pearls around her neck.

She nodded. "Yes." There was a pause.  "It's impossible, isn't it?"

"I dare say it is."

"And yet, the letter..."

"Yes, the letter..."  

Both sighed, exchanging a glance.

"You know, I think I know the perfect person to consult with on this," Watson finally said. 

"Mr. Holmes?"

"Yes. If you don't mind, of course."

"If you think it is best. I'm feeling quite lost here."

"Very well then. And don't worry, Miss Westin, we'll get to the bottom of this," he assured her. "Mary, Miss Westin and I have a call to make!" he called to his wife, grabbing his hat and walking stick by the door. 

"Oh, before I forget, Mr. Holmes wanted me to tell you that he'd 'figured it out',"  Caroline told him as they left the house.  "What does that mean?"

"It means we must proceed with caution."

"But what has he figured out?"

Watson sighed.  "The cure to heartbreak."

--------------------------------

"You want to go back there?!" cried Harris when she told him they were going back to 221B.

"Yes, we must." 

He argued no further and set back down the road towards their destination, but he was still skeptical. 

"May I see the letter again?" Watson asked while they were on their way.

"Yes, of course." She handed it back to him.

He scanned it in its entirety once again.  "Very strange indeed."

Soon enough - too soon for Harris's liking - they were pulling up before the house again.  This time they found the door closed. 

Watson knocked and a few moments later Mrs. Hudson opened the door.  "Oh, Doctor! So good to see you!"

"Hello, Mrs. Hudson, you as well," he told her, smiling in greeting.

"How's your lovely wife?"

"She's very well, thank you."

"And your sweet dog?"

"Healthy as ever, thank you." 

"Oh do come in - I see Miss Westin found you, then."

"Yes, thank you again for your help, Mrs. Hudson."

"I take it I am to assume you've come to see the man himself?"

"Mrs. Hudson, your own powers of deduction are impressive."