Chapter Thirty-two

The next day I'm working with Alyssa in our office when I get a call over my headset.

"Evan, there's a girl named Laura here to see you. She says she has something very important for you to see and it probably should be dealt with now" the voice at the front desk says. What could she be here for? What does she want to show me? How important is it? What could it be?

I immediately look at Alyssa to get her approval. "Go take care of it" Alyssa says with a smile.

"Thanks. I'll be right back" I say

I walk downstairs and see Laura waiting for me. It's weird that she's here now. Usually she waits for me to get home before showing me something. I guess it really must be important.

"Hi Laura" I say with a smile

"Hi Evan. This came to my apartment today and I thought you might want to see it sooner rather than later" she says.

She hands me a letter from the local courthouse. It's a letter telling me that Ross's sentencing date has been set and that if I would like to be there for it I can be.

"Oh shit" I say

"What is it? What's wrong?" Laura asks

"It's a letter from the courthouse saying that Ross is going to be sentenced next week. It says that if I want to be there I can be" I tell her.

"What do you want to do?" Laura asks.

"I want to show this to Alyssa first" I say back to her

I grab Laura's hand and we go up to mine and Alyssa's office. My stomach is in knots thinking about what the letter says. I really have no idea what Alyssa will do when she sees it.

"Evan I don't think I'm allowed to be up here" Laura says while walking up the stairs.

"It's fine for this situation" I tell her.

We go into Alyssa's office. I walk in with a concerned look on my face.

"Evan is everything ok?" Alyssa asks when she sees my face.

"Alyssa there's something I need to show you" I say. I hand her the letter and she reads it. It take her a while to say something else. It's almost like she reread the letter multiple times.

"What do you want to do? Whatever you want to do, we'll do?" She says.

"I wanna get Ryan in on this first" I say back to her.

Alyssa nods her head. "Of course. Go ahead" she says with a smile on her face.

I call Ryan to Alyssa's office over the headsets. Grant takes Ryan's place for a while. Ryan walks into Alyssa's office. There's a since of relief when I see him.

"Hi. What's going on" he asks when he gets to Alyssa's office. He can see that I'm nervous about something. He always knows. "Evan are you ok? What's going on?"

"Ryan you need to see something" I tell him.

I hand Ryan the letter. He reads it "Wow. What are we doing about this?" He asks.

"That's what we're figuring out right now" I tell him. "What do you think I should do, Ryan?"

"That's your choice, Evan. Not mine" he says.

"Whatever you want to do, we'll do, Evan" Alyssa says

"I honestly have no idea what I want to do" I tell them.

Ryan, Laura and Alyssa all look at each other. It almost looks like they have the same thing in mind.

"Hear me out, Evan. I think what would be best is if we go to the sentencing so you can see what happens with Ross and know for sure" Laura says.