Chapter Thirty-One: Well, Now You Know It's Over Because I said the Title

Song Selection: Misery Business— Paramore Cover by WALWIN 

(My Guinea Pigs started jumping up and down and cooing when I played this, so I'll let you know, it's Guninea approved)

Monet.

There's a giant gash on my dad's face, right above his eye, and Red Comet is squeezing his shoulder like she's afraid he's going to fall through the floor. I've only been asleep for a couple of days or so, as my friends crowd around my hospital bed I'm aware that I've missed so much. Kai, Finn, Chip, Percy, who's hand I have to hold to remind myself that somehow this is all real, that no, I haven't died. I smile up at her, at her dreamy eyes, and she gives me that same look that Red Comet gives my dad, like I might fall through the floor.

Kai's pressed to Finn's chest, Finn's chin on his head. I've seen them hold hands and hug and stuff, but not like this. Just them embracing, outwardly. And it's kind of nice. And the stranger. Here's here, watching, with dark friendly eyes. And Chip's the one who explains. It all bowls out of him, big paragraphs. I smile, stupidly smile. "....and that's what happened. Pretty much."

"And you're all okay?" I ask.

They nod, mumble excitedly, all bright eyes; victors of a fight I didn't get to see, even my dad, who looks down at me so adoringly it makes my heart hurt. What did you go through for me, Dad? I want to ask, but I can't find the words, so I lean back against the thin pillows, feeling warm and tingly and happy. They won, whatever battle they fought that I didn't get to see, and I'm alive and proud of them.

Percy beams and leans down at my side. Her breath touches my ear; perfect warmth from perfect lips. "Mayweather says you're rehired."

"Not if that means spending less time with you." Because, shit. My friends, my girlfriend, my dad were all almost ripped away from me, all the wonderful people that somehow I got to know, and somehow, for some reason, decided to stick around, decided to save me. Percy smiles and I can't help but reach up and and pull her closer to me. This girl who's already saved my life how many times? "I'm the hero, I'm supposed to save you."

She shoots a quick glance at my dad, and he winks. Oh, yeah, I definitely missed a lot. "Turns out I can save myself," she says. And her mom sheepishly smiles. Red Comet itches the back of her neck, looking, for the first time, nervous.

"I bet." I sit up. I can't wait to be home again. Can't wait to curl up against Percy and fall asleep on her thin, muscular shoulder. Can't wait to share greasy pizza and brainstorm cheesy headlines with my dad. Can't wait to buy my friends a couple rounds of laser tag and watch the boys try and fail to destroy each other. But I have obligations. "When can I speak to Max?"

"Soon," Red Comet supplies, "But—"

"But get some rest first," Dad says.

"I love you," I tell my old man. I don't think I say it enough, but when I see that big gash and his eyes, full of that fatherly love, I wonder how I ever could've forgotten to tell him that everyday. "I love you all."

And with the warmth of their eyes, with the flushed happiness so clear on their faces, the atmosphere giddy with it, I listen for hours to them talk, especially Chip, to his musical voice, so clear and so proud. I fall asleep to it, against the thin pillow with a goofy grin on my dumb face.

It's so good to be alive.

***

Max.

My cell is small, all steel. It's not attached to the prison my dad's probably at, it's somewhere off by itself. Just a box with a bed and a toilet and some books and me; the red rope's still attached to one of my wrists, tied tight, probably by a super, can't remember it all. My human hands pick at it boredly. I'm no longer a super, when the rope's around me, but I don't feel less like a monster. The salvation I thought I'd bring myself and the world by taking away powers was a lie. And it hurts.