Chapter 14. The Power Of Rejection *

Domino Young  sent a quick mental message to Alpha Martin. "Alpha, I think he's here."

The alphas reply was instantly in his mind. "Bring him up here. Now." Domino jumped to his feet.

Domino didn't know what was going on but he expected it was important. The tone of his alpha's voice alone held enough stress to quicken Domino's heart for a few beats. Add the neighboring alpha and a pack visitor to the mix, you have a mystery.

The visitor must have done something, but it couldn't have been too bad or the alpha would have sent more than him to collect him. There would have been pack enforcers, guardians, or the shikari if it was bad enough.

Bentley inspected the young Lycan male as he parked the truck in front of the cabin. The young man sat on the steps and jumped to his feet as Bentley pulled up.

"Bentley Harbron?" The guy asked in a rush. Bentley nodded. "Domino Young." He pointed to his own chest. "Man, I have been waiting for you for hours. Follow me. The alphas wants to see you." He was already in motion, headed towards the alpha house.

"Alphas?" Bentley found it easy to keep up with the younger, shorter male. The guy was at least a foot shorter than himself. They weren't running but walking very quickly. Whatever was going on it put an urgency in the males pace.

"Um, yeah." The guy nodded. His off hand manner lowered Bentley's age estimate. "Alpha Rition is up at the house, too.  He's been here since six, I think." The kid gave a curious glance at Bentley. "What'd you do?"

"Nothing," Bentley's response was instant but followed by, "that I know of."

The kid shrugged and he tried to hide a smile. Moments later Bentley was standing in Alpha Martin's office. Small talk was quick but allowed Bentley to assess the rooms atmosphere. He relaxed a bit. If he had been in trouble, like the kid thought, he doubted the alphas would have bothered with any pleasantries.

"I wanted to talk to you about something you said to Alpha Martin." Alpha Rition's tone suddenly grew serious. "He mentioned you ran into a wolf pack not to long ago. He also mentioned you thought one of the females in the pack had been your mate." He lifted a quizzical brow but still managed to appear serious.

Bentley was taken off guard. He had never asked Alpha Martin to keep the conversation between the three of them, yet he hadn't expected him to tell anyone, especially another Alpha.

"What of it?" He found it difficult to keep the annoyance from his voice.

"Have you ever heard some of the old legends of Lycans who shifted from the moment they were born?"

"Not since I was a kid, it was bedtime stories. Why?" He still felt a little guarded. This conversation was making less sense by the minute. And both alpha's looked very serious to be discussing bedtime stories.

"You know females can't shift after they produce the scent hormone that acknowledges the pregnancy."

It didn't sound like a question but Bentley nodded anyway. From bedtime stories to true cautionary trivia, this was making less sense by the minute.

"Do you know why?" Alpha Rition continued.

Bentley shook his head confused by the fluctuating topics. "They die or wonder off then die. I'm not trying to be rude. But what's this about?"

"Bentley, what we're about to tell you is a conversation you can't repeat." Alpha Martin warned. "It's not common knowledge for good reason."

Both alphas wore almost identical looks of seriousness.