Chapter 12 - It's a one way street

I was laying in my bed all night, wide awake. You would think now that I was abandoning my duties as an alpha and the training as much as I did, I could get some rest, but nope, Riley was the one keeping me awake and not in a pleasurable way. I wanted to sleep, but the way he stared at our hands, shock and fear taking over his face, I just didn't know if I had lost him again. But could I truly blame him if I did?

If I had no idea that supernatural stuff existed and a guy, who I should hate, touches my hand and fireworks explode in my stomach, I would be freaked out as well. I wanted to calm Riley and tell him, that it was ok, that it was natural that he was feeling this, but I couldn't without telling him about who or better what I was and he was not ready for that. Also, I never got a chance to do so, because my mate took off faster than I could say yeehaw.

After tossing and turning and having another discussion with Dixon on how to fix this, it was finally morning again. The rising sun made me groan, since I felt like I hadn't slept in weeks, which was pretty accurate. I just needed to get some sleep. But no, I, an alpha, had to be stronger than this...and I was. So I sighed, getting up and taking a shower, because I still smelled like smoke, which I didn't like too much especially in the morning. The events of last night were still so fresh in my brain and hadn't Riley run away at the very end, this would have been a pretty perfect evening. 

I got dressed, before getting all my stuff and driving to school, nervous beyond believe. Maybe Riley would act like it had never even happened, which I could only hope for. Maybe he would ignore me or maybe, he would have had a moment to think about it and maybe...I don't know, magically fallen in love with me? Yeah ok the last one wasn't very likely, I know. I also thought a lot about what Riley had said about Sawyer...I mean, they were...good together I guess, but did he really believe that he was sometimes annoying him? Because then my mate must also be blind, because the way this asshole looked at him, screamed wedding bells, much to my dismay. 

When I pulled up to the school, I got out, immediately smelling that my mate was already inside. No wonders, I was pretty late, like always. The hallways were filled and I already knew the twins would be late, since neither one of their motorcycles were parked outside, if they would show up at all. I walked to my locker, discreetly looking for my mate, because he was close, but I couldn't really make out where exactly he was. Maybe outside again, eating Sawyers face. Ok, now I wanted to kill somebody. I took a deep breath, calming down as I got my books, ready for my first class. 

Just when I was walking towards the classroom, I could see a bunch of humans circled around a small guy, cornering him, but I couldn't really see who it was. My first thought was Riley, but his heart rate seemed normal and it probably wouldn't, if he was surrounded by a bunch of brainless idiots, who seemed to want to beat him up. Normally, I didn't pay much attention to those bullies, since they were humans and my werewolves could protect themselves and had each other to do so, but when I walked by a little closer, the smaller guys arms was visible for a split second, as he picked up his fallen books and I immediately recognized the blue, red and yellow bracelet he was wearing. 

Without thinking twice, I rushed over there, not too sure why Lynton wasn't fighting back, these human idiots were just laughing at him as they were pushing him around, making his books fall to the ground and trying to take off his backpack. But this wasn't about his ability to fight, but his safety and I would not let one of my closest friends get hurt. I could have yelled to stop it, but then they would have just run away, doing it, maybe, again, at least to somebody else. So I just walked up to them, which they didn't really see, since they were towered over my omega, facing me with their back. 

I walked up behind them so closely, that I was now watching down on them, especially the guy, who just pushed Lynton against the wall, making him fall down slightly, until he spotted me. My friend looked terrified to the bone and it was a little weird to me, since only yesterday he had helped my pack kill about one thousand people, finishing some himself. And with these stupid humans, he couldn't even push them back? I wasn't judging him, I was simply curious and I guess I would find out after dealing with these mutts. I cleared my throat, making them all freeze as they now sensed my presence.