xiv. princess medea's death-trap department store

LEO GOT DISTRACTED on the second floor with the appliances. 

"No way," he said. "Is that an armored forge?" He hopped off the escalator before Piper or Ophelia could stop him, running over to a big oval oven-thing that looked like a barbecue on steroids. 

When they caught up to him, Medea said, "You have good taste. This is H-2000, designed by Hephaestus himself. Hot enough to melt Celestial bronze or Imperial gold." 

"Imperial gold?" Ophelia asked. The term sounded familiar. 

The princess nodded. "Yes, my dear. Like those weapons so cleverly concealed in yours and Jason's pockets. To be properly forged, Imperial gold had to be consecrated in the Temple of Jupiter on Capitoline Hill in Rome. Quite a powerful and rare metal, but like the Roman emperors, quite volatile. Be sure never to break that blade..." She warned Jason cryptically, then smiled pleasantly. "Rome was after my time, of course, but I do hear stories. And now over here—this golden throne is one of my finest luxury items. Hephaestus made it as a punishment for his mother, Hera. Sit in it and you'll be immediately trapped." 

Leo apparently took this as an order. He began walking toward it in a trance. Ophelia grabbed his arm, holding him back. He blinked. "How much for both?" 

"Oh, the seat I could let you have for five great deeds. The forge, seven years of servitude. And for only a bit of your strength—" She led Leo into the appliance section, giving him prices on various items. 

Piper and Ophelia shared a meaningful look before Piper hurried after Leo and the princess. Before Jason could wander after them, she grabbed his arm, shaking him none too gently. 

"Snap out of it!" she hissed. 

Jason made a confused face, like a lost puppy. It would have been cute if they weren't in mortal danger—okay, it was still kind of adorable, but that wasn't the point. "What do you mean?" 

"She's using magic on you. Can't you feel it?" 

He furrowed his eyebrows. "She seems okay." 

"She's not okay!" Ophelia insisted. "She should be dead. She was married to the original Jason eons ago. Boreas said something about this—about souls no longer being confined to Hades. It's not just monsters who can't stay dead. She came back from the Underworld." 

Jason shook his head uneasily. "I can see her. She's not a ghost."

Kenna the ghost rolled her eyes. "Is this dumbass your boyfriend?" she asked Ophelia. "You could do better." 

"He's hot, he's allowed to be a little stupid," Ezekiel said defensively. 

Ophelia ignored them. "No, she's a lot more dangerous!" she hissed. "Jason—" 

"Children." The princess was back with Leo and Piper in tow. "If you please, we will now see what you came for. That is what you want, yes?" 

Piper gave Ophelia a hopeless look. They didn't have many options—fighting the princess head-on wasn't a good idea, not when she had Jason and Leo under her spell and could almost as easily sway Ophelia. Judging from the state of the three ghosts, the sorceress could easily divide and conquer her four new victims. 

They needed a plan. A good one.

"Hey," Leo said as they finally reached the ground floor, "Coach Hedge looks okay!" 

The satyr seemed to have been petrified at the moment he was sucked into the sky above the Grand Canyon. He was frozen mid-shout, his club raised over his head. His curly hair stuck up at odd angles.