Chapter Fourteen - 'The Arches'

I spent all weekend in hospital sitting next to Harry's bed. Sitting, worrying, getting him glasses of water. His mum came to visit and stayed all Friday and Saturday night while I went home to sleep. I must have looked a right mess when he woke up. My hair was messy from dozing off while waiting for him to open his eyes. My non-existent make-up made me look like something out of a Stephen King film.

Harry slept most of Saturday. His blood lose had drained him of all his energy which he used sleep to gain back. He was still pretty drowsy on Sunday but at least he was talking.

"How did you manage to get a stab wound in your stomach Harry?" I quizzed him on Sunday evening.

His face grew pale and ashamed. "It doesn't matter now, does it?" he sighed.

"Well yeah it does, pretty much" I said sternly.

"You worry too much" he stated. He was right, I did worry too much but he was in a life threatening condition.

"Harry you could have died!" I said raising my voice slightly, "Don't you ever do that to me again"

"Ok, I'm sorry" he said sincerely then closed his eyes to sleep.

"You still need to answer my question though" I woke him.

He huffed. "Ok so when we were marched out of the classroom by those teachers...after the fight..." he started.

"Yes" I said, eager for him to continue.

"Well we were kept back 1 hour after school finished. Then they let me and John go home at the same time" he continued. John being the one he had a fight with.

"And what! He just stabbed you!" I said as my face screwed up.

"Shh" he said placing his finger against my lips.

"He started shouting things about you as we left the school gates" he started again.

"Things like what?" I said, a frown quickly dragged down my face.

"Please shhh" he said grabbing my hand.

"I was getting really pissed off with him now...so I asked him what his problem was and he said 'I' was the problem, because 'I think I'm so great because I have girlfriend' or somethin'" he spoke staring into space like he was reliving the moment.

I nodded showing my interest.

"I asked him if we could sort the problem by talking about it but he said he knew an easier way" Harry swallowed hard "That's when he got out the knife"

I put my head down in sadness.

"I think it was supposed to be used as a threat but I panicked and that's how I got that slash right across my stomach" he said now looking down.

"Oh Harry" I said rubbing his arm with the hand he wasn't holding, "Why didn't you tell me when I saw it on Friday?"

"I...I..I didn't think it was that deep" he said looking at me with those big sparkling green eyes. I just wanted to hold him but I couldn't because of the cut.

He was out of hospital the next morning and back to school on the Wednesday with a big bandage wrapped around him which his shirt covered. This 'John' boy was suspended to a youth police station until further notice making it safe for Harry and I to continue going to school. We didn't seem to be the luckiest couple on Earth but we had each other.

~~~

"Can you pass me that lipstick please?" asked Olivia pointing across the dresser.

"Yeah here you go" Eliza answered putting down her blusher brush and throwing the lipstick to Liv.