Chapter 23

One year later

Liz's POV

Here I am standing at LAX waiting for Katie to come pick me up. I put in a week's leave so I come to attend Erastus' wedding, which is in five days and I am excited to be back here. I missed this place. The past year in London wasn't that bad, but I just couldn't make it my home knowing that I was only going to be here for three years. I had some good moments, like how Katie and Erastus sent me a parcel on my birthday and Layla baked me a cake. I spent a lot of time with the Walters, they were like family to me so my stay wasn't that boring. Annie called me once or twice to tell me she gave birth to a baby girl. I was genuinely happy for her.

I have gone on a couple of dates but didn't date much. I guess I never found what I was looking for because I didn't even know what I was looking for in a guy. Harry and I went on double dates from time to time but both our dates were still boring. I wasn't trying to get out there, but Layla wanted her son to get back out there and know that not every girl is like the ex-fiancée that left him at the altar, so I decided to help him out and we'd go on double dates from time to time.

At least he has a girlfriend now, I on the other side, guess I am still afraid that any guy will end up being another Evan, and I seriously can't make myself go through that again. If that means me being single for the rest of my life, then I guess it's what it is then. Let's just say that what Evan did, made me have trust issues. I doubt everything everyone says now, even the most obvious things, I still find myself double-checking.

Now I had to focus on my friend's wedding even though I don't have a date for the wedding yet. Maybe I was just supposed to bring Harry with me, now that I think about it. Harry also didn't understand how my closest friend is a guy. I heard judgment in his voice but I just ignored it because I get that all the time. Erastus called me last week, showing me how the reception was coming together and there was too much yellow. That's why I came earlier because I had to change that, even if it means going against Rose, who is my frenemy at the moment.

So I guess when she finds out I am planning on changing some things, she might bury me alive but I could care less. Katie wasn't here yet and I have been at the airport for half an hour now.
"Mom?" I hear Laura's voice coming from a distance behind me. I turned around to see her standing next to Evan in her cheerleading uniform. She ran to me and hugged me. She has grown a bit taller.
"Hi, baby," I said.

"You are here. You back for good?" she asked.

"No honey, I am just here for Erastus' wedding," I told her.

"Hey Liz, you look good," Evan said.

"Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself." I told him.
I asked Laura why they were at the airport and she said they came to pick up her grandmother.
Evan's mom is coming to town? I didn't even know she left LA.

"I see. How's cheerleading?" I asked.

"It's okay, I was voted captain but I had to turn it down because I have soccer as well," she said.

"Can't you just give up one and focus on the other? How are you dealing with two sports and still get good grades?" I asked.

"Dad asked me to give one up as well, but I am getting good grades, and I am staying out of trouble I promise. I take them both because it is better than sitting at home doing nothing," she said.

"Okay," I said. The next thing I know she is running and shouting grandma Celine.
"She sure has a lot of energy. So, looks like London was treating you well." Evan said. He was trying to put on a conversation with me but all I wanted to do was get the hell out of here so I don't get to see his mom. I ignored her calls ever since I filed for divorce because I did not want to be convinced otherwise or to be asked to reconsider.