chapter nine,

On a piece of street art, Eryn once read prejudices will be why humankind perishes.

Conceptually speaking, prejudices are a preconceived opinion of a person, situation, object without any foundation. However, realistically speaking, while it might not be an accurate or educated one, Eryn believes there are foundations to these biases.

They originate from positive alike negative experience with a person, scenario, item that possess certain qualities. These encounters don't necessarily have to be one's own, as a matter of fact, some biases are taught—such as parents, family members, friends, among others, who share under certain light some events.

But as they say, there are always two sides to each tale and a story is of who tells it.

Backtracking to the original point, the almost unconscious act is one many can be held accountable to doing alike they have, probably, fallen victim to.

At that moment, Eryn is more preoccupied with the latter rather than the former.

Her green eyes follow the movement of Wren's long fingers curled around the wheel as he steers them further into the clogged streets of New York. Leading them through the city and, eventually, right out.

Truthfully, this isn't how Eryn had envisioned today's events would develop. For one, she pictured Deniz by her side and though she isn't exactly complaining about having to spend some time in Wren's company—as ironic as it is, Eryn isn't entirely certain she's relieved about that change in plans either.

Earlier that day, in a brief and albeit awkward run-in the bathroom, Deniz informed Eryn she has to cover another, more relevant source. And as the journalist applied a coat of concealer atop of the crescent moon underneath her eyes while gripping the rim of the basin with her opposite hand, Deniz told Eryn she is more or less on her own for this evening's interview with The Boston Celtics.

A part of Eryn is conscious that, while Deniz might have not meant for it to be, this is quite an opportunity to be noticed as more than an intern by Wyetta.

The truth is, since the entire fellowship program situation began, bringing about the article and, of course, the dates—the original goal, which had been to prolong her stay at Let's Be Honest has somewhat slipped her mind.

Then again, considering there is little to no assurance she'll get into the New York Time's program—more so since the document intended for her article is mockingly bare—it'd do no harm to ensure, even if just by an inch, some ground to step on when the countdown reaches zero.

Wren's unoccupied arm is propped on the console separating their seats, his hand absentmindedly tracing his stubble. As the car draws yet again to a stop, he chances a glance at Eryn who's been caught staring. To add to her mortification, he winks.

"We're definitely going to get Boston tomorrow," Eryn hyperbolically predicts, redirecting her eyes towards the sea of blinking red lights.

"We'll make it," Wren assures, pressing the accelerator once the current begins to flow. "Believe it or not, this isn't the worst traffic I've seen."

Eryn truthfully wouldn't know since she's never owned a car, nor a license for that matter. Beyond drivers' ed in high school, Eryn has only once driven a car and truthfully she couldn't relate to Melina—who claims the road stretching before her, the feel of the car speeding away or towards, her grip firm on the wheel while softly humming songs, is soothing.

"You do this often?" Eryn asks, "like this sort of route? I mean, with Callan living in Boston and your office being here."

"It depends, I guess." Wren turns the wheel, slowing once they encounter yet another red light. A sight that prompts Eryn to drop her forehead into her hands in despair. "I live here, it makes more sense since most of my clients are from The New York Knicks otherwise I would probably just relocate to another one of our offices. There isn't one in Boston though. As for Callan, I head when I'm needed which isn't all too often—most stuff I can sort out from here."