Wave Nineteen

A rush of Guardians sped past as he paused at the cavern’s entrance. Their tails were a blur of deep purples, glistening amethyst, and fading lilacs. He saw Darya approach and waited for her to sweep in before following. Darya didn’t even wait for the Mer to take their seats before beginning the vote. She looked down from her platform, not meeting their eyes.

          (The time has come. Who’d vote for Leira and accept her into our clan?)
As one, the Guardians turned to look expectantly at Eli. They seemed uncertain, as though waiting for him to cast the first vote. Eli stared up in resolute silence at Darya, daring her to challenge him. The hush strained between them.

          (I would.) Anahita’s thought sang out to them and Eli felt the attention of the Guardians shift from him.
(Your contribution has been noted, Seer; but it would appear tha-)
Anahita interrupted Darya. She was appealing to the other Mer.
(You’d honestly send away a Mer so powerful? Deny a Guardian, one of your own, her birthright?)
(She failed the Testing!) Eli jumped at the sound of his own thought. Had he really just spoken out against his own daughter?

        Darya studied Eli for a moment, looking as though she’d found a new layer of respect for him. Eli hated her for it.
(Even the one who sired her thinks she’s a risk to the Herd, Seer. If she can’t be trusted near a Source, then she can’t be trusted to guard a Source. This would be for her own protection.)
(At least let me train her,) Anahita pleaded. Eli sensed the Guardians around him shift uncomfortably. It wasn’t usual for Mer to voluntarily take in a Mer from a different clan. Darya sensed the unrest. She seemed worried that Anahita’s faith in Leira might tip the balance of the vote. Eli detected a note of strain in her next thought as she proclaimed,
(She failed her training! She can’t control her thoughts. She destroyed a Source. Her tail is marked white now – a sign of weakness -) Darya glanced viciously at Anahita as she thought this.
(Better to let her assume she failed her training and keep her away from our other Sources. If she finds one when she’s out Scouting, even if she destroys it, at least she won’t be destroying ours. She’s too fragile to trust with the location of the Sources! How, then, could she guard them? Guardians – finish the vote. Who here feels Leira is not fit to be one of us, and should take up the rank of Scout?)

          Eli didn’t even need to add his opinion to the thoughts of every other Guardian in the space. It was unanimous. Only he and Anahita did not respond.

(It is decided then.) Darya’s gaze swept the room and settled on Eli. He felt dread swirl in the pit of his stomach at Darya’s next words.
(And you can be the one to tell her.)

    As before, the Guardians pressed from the cavern, leaving Eli alone. He felt drained. His sadness was outweighed by fierce relief. Relief that Leira would never again be isolated from the Herd. He had ensured her safety. Anahita looked at him wistfully as she swam past. Both of them turned when they heard Darya project softly.
(Wait.)
Darya left her platform to join them on the seabed. Her presence eclipsed theirs.

          (Wait,) she continued. (I promised I wouldn’t let the Herd be compromised by Leira, and I stand by that. But if – and only if – you can train her as you say, Anahita, then I’ll allow it. She’ll come to you, in secret. You can train her, teach her about the Sources. When she’s ready, maybe she’ll locate more for us.)
(And rejoin her own clan?) offered Anahita.
(Perhaps.) Darya shot back.

          Eli gazed in horror as understanding began to dawn on him. Darya wanted to put Leira through the shame of leaving the Guardians, only to have her train as one in secret? She wanted to use her as a Scout then accept her back into their ranks when the time was right. It was almost too cruel to bear. Before he could utter a word, Darya pushed between the two of them and swam from the cavern. Anahita stared at Eli, as though drinking in his soul. She turned to leave, but before she did, he could swear he heard her thinking:
(I’ll look after the child.)