Part 2

Once at the medical center Julia led Clair down the turquoise tiled halls towards the intensive care units. Julia showed Clair into the first room where she had to stop for a moment to catch her breath upon seeing Owen.

"He got lucky, the raptors talons didn't hit any vital areas nor any of his organs but nonetheless they were still extremely deep," Julia explained as she quickly checked the various machines around Owen's bed that all attached to his body in some manner.

Clair approached the side of Owen's bed where she looked him over to absorb everything. The blanket covered the lower half of his body except for a small sliver of bare skin that was exposed before bandages wrapped around his torso up to under his arms where it wrapped around his shoulder for stability. A nasal cannula wrapped around his ears then slid down under his nose while all his flesh was painted a pale white making Owen seem for the first time to Clair extremely vulnerable.

"Will he be alright?" Clair asked only to realize instantly how dumb a question that was considering.

"He's still unconscious but according to the doctors he should wake pretty soon and he did start breathing on his own right out of surgery resulting in them being able to remove the intubation tube, which is good of course...all in all it's good news," Julia explained with a smile

"Thank you," Clair stated simply

"I'll leave you with him for now but the doctor will be in later to check on him," Julia stated as she headed out

Clair let out a deep sigh as she watched Owen's chest rise then fall with each fairly shallow breath he took.Clair's fingers lightly caressed along the blood stained bandages on Owen's torso as guilt weighed heavily on her mind cause in the end this was her fault. Gently Clair slid her fingers up to Owen's face, along his cheek to his hair line where she brushed a strand of stray hair from his face.

Several hours later...

Clair sat next to Owen's bed sipping on a coffee as the sun slowly descended outside the window across the room. After over a day of waiting Owen started to stir with a groan then he blinked his eyes open causing Clair to jump to her feet.

"Owen! Oh my god! Nurse! Nurse!" Clair called over her shoulder out the open door

"Hmm, Clair?" Owen moaned out with slight surprise gracing his features

"Yes, yes it's me! Just stay calm, try to relax," Clair insisted despite ignoring both requests herself.

"What are you doing here?" Owen asked then foolishly tried to sit up straight with instant regret of doing so as pain shot through his body resulting in a groan while one of his hands came up to wrap around his wounds.

"What did I just say? Hold still," Clair irritably insisted gently grabbing Owen's upper arm.

"Good idea," Owen grunted out as he gritted his teeth in pain

Just then Julia trotted into the room only to get a surprised look on her face upon seeing Owen conscious. Quickly Julia went to work checking the various machines then checking Owen over while he took deep breaths in an attempt to quell his pain. Clair watched for a moment until Owen glanced over at her clearly with something on his mind.

"What?" Clair asked

"How long have you been here?" Owen asked back bluntly

"Um...a few...hours," Clair responded, averting her eyes

"Uh-huh, why?" Owen asked looking highly confused with his eyebrows furrowed

"Why? Why does there have to be a why? Can't I just come keep an eye on an injured employee?" Clair asked with irritation in her voice