CH 6: Ex Gratia

He made me sign another contract that was more specific to the terms we agreed on. I wanted to refuse but I did not want to lose face in front of him. I did not want him to think that I had chickened out. Or at least that's what I repeatedly told myself.

He asked me to move in with him and I agreed but asked for more time.

"Kailangan ko po munang ayusin ang bahay, Sir. Hindi naman po pwedeng basta-basta na lang po ako aalis," I had alibied.

Two days later, a letter from a law office was delivered to my doorstep telling me using legalese that I was expected to vacate the house I grew up in in fifteen days.

But, I had other plans.

Ipaglaban mo 'tong bahay na 'to, Juris. Ito na lang 'yung natitirang alaala ng mga magulang mo.

I would fight for my house. And I knew that I would need Mr. Santander's money to do that.

"Good morning po, Sir," I greeted as I took his bag from him. It was a Thursday and nearly two weeks since that erotic encounter inside his office.

He handed me the large cup of coffee and the paper bag that he was holding.

"Thank you po," I murmured. "May iuutos po ba kayo?" I asked.

"Kumain ka na muna," he said sitting behind his desk.

He had been bringing me coffee and pastry for nearly two weeks now and as much as I appreciated the gesture, I was confused why he seemed to be busy making me gain weight instead of getting me pregnant.

Nagbago na kaya ang isip n'ya? I quietly asked myself as I took a sip from the Venti cup.

The phone started ringing and I pasted a smile on my face before picking the receiver up. "Mr. Santander's office, good morning."

The hours went by and when I looked at my wristwatch, I realized that it was nearly lunchtime. I knew that Mr. Santander would call me soon for his lunch and at exactly 11:50 AM, my phone rang.

"Yes, Sir?" I said over the phone.

"I need you in my office," he said before the line died.

I stood, smoothed my light gray pencil skirt, arranged my pink Georgette blouse, then walked to his door to knock.

"Come in," I heard him say.

I stepped inside with a bright smile on my face.

"Why do you look so happy?" he asked.

I stared at him unsure of how to reply.

"Are you that excited to go on vacation? You're supposed to take your paid leave this week, right?"

Paid leave—ah, yes, that paid leave.

"Yes, Sir..."

"Can we maybe move it? Don't worry, I am not going to take that offer back. I really just need you to be here for the Soler project."

"Okay, Sir. 'Yun lang po ba?"

"Do you want to..." He hesitated. "Do you want to go to France for your leave?"

I stared uncomprehendingly at him. "Um...anong France po ba ang pinag-uusapan natin dito? France like...France-France...or San Francisco, Cebu po?"

He laughed. "Yes, Miss Montiel, France the country. You know Eiffel Tower, Louvre Museum, Chateau de Versailles..."

"Ahh..."

"Do you have a passport?"

I nodded.

"Do you want to go to France with me? Don't worry, I will pay for everything. Wala kang gagastusin."