Sink or swim

It has been two months since our movie date and we are on our way to a party to have fun. Bobby and Athena have decided to throw a party for the 118. To be honest I think it's just an excuse to unwind. I can tell you for a fact that it is something that is needed after the crap that has happened. As soon as we arrive I grab something to drink. I need something after the shift that I just finished. After hovering around for a few minutes I find myself being engrossed in one of Hen's stories.

"And you know what I said. I said he could lay there and die if he didn't stay quiet," Hen concluded her story. I find myself giggling as we have all had that story as paramedics. After another minute of mingling, I decide to check on Buck who is being unusually quiet.

"Buck, are you alright?" I tentatively ask. The thing is ever since the attack he hasn't been doing too well mentally. Before you can ask I have tried my best to help him but he hasn't been the most responsive.

"I'm fine," Buck is clearly lying. He is probably lying so that I don't worry about him. Before I can pressure him into telling me what's bothering him collapses into a violent coughing fit.

"I'll call 911," Athena remarks as she grabs her phone. I can feel the dread as Hen, Howie and I get to work. Luckily for me, the paramedics are quick to arrive. With Bobby's permission, I joined the paramedics in the ambulance. After a tense ten minutes, we have made it to the hospital and I am currently pacing around the emergency triage room while I wait for confirmation of a hunch that I have. It feels like it is taking forever.

"Excuse me, are you Ella?" The doctor pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Yes. Let me guess he threw a clot," I ask for confirmation of my hunch. The doctor nods.

"He was lucky that he was surrounded by trained paramedics," The doctor replies. With that news, my mind wonders what could have caused Buck's leg injuries to throw a clot.

"Can I see him?" Hopefully, the doctor doesn't notice the panic in my voice. I just don't want to lose Buck. I know I shouldn't think like that but I love him and love makes you worry. The doctor quickly leads me to his room. I am struck by how peaceful Buck is when he sleeps.

"I'll leave you two," The doctor says as he slips out. I take Buck's hand. It's an oddly comforting gesture. After three hours of sleeping, I am awoken by the gentle shuffling of Buck's hand. He is trying to free himself without waking me up.

"You know I am awake," I mutter as I rub the sleepiness from my eyes.

"Sorry Ella," Buck responds.

"Don't worry about it," I retort. At least he was thoughtful.

It has been a week since Buck went to the hospital. Since I have the shift off Eddie decided to let Buck and I babysit Christopher for him. It was a ploy to get Buck out. Unfortunately, Buck's mental state plummeted after the clot. The 118 has been trying everything to cheer up Buck. It seems that Buck is enjoying himself with Christopher. Right now we are resting by the end of the Santa Monica pier while Christopher watches the ocean.

"Hey, Buck what would you be if you weren't a firefighter what would you be?" Christopher asks out of the blue. He seems to be happy asking hard questions.

"I honestly don't know. You should ask Ella that question," Buck diverts Christopher's question to me.

"How about you Ella?" Of course, Buck's diversion worked. At least I have an answer.

"Well, I would be a hospital doctor," I respond. I am soon distracted by the beach. It is devoid of water. That can only mean one thing. Buck soon notices as well. The intense quiet is pierced by the Tsunami warning alarm. My instincts kick in. I grab Christopher and run. I glance over my shoulder to find that I am closely followed by Buck. Since I can't outrun the tsunami I take cover with Christopher. For some reason, Buck hesitates before joining us. I take a deep breath as the force of the tsunami comes crashing down on us.