Chapter 2

Summer blew in early that year, the hot breath of a lion. With that fire, the sun baked the city in a veritable brimstone furnace. Toes sweated in shoes while clothes clung tight with dampness. Holly entered a corner dive with Rani, a diner from television's heyday. The air conditioning blasted them, offering relief. The chill was a nice respite, as they couldn't afford even a window unit. Their fans did little more than buffet the hot air around.

"I'll get us a booth," Holly mumbled as Rani sought the restroom.

The person they came to meet was yet to arrive, though he worked at the church just up the street. Holly tucked herself into one of the booths lining the glass windows, the farthest back, for privacy. A waitress responded by washing down the table. Burned tobacco lingered in her clothes and skin. Holly frowned. The smell reminded her of a man who used to let her take cigarettes from his pack. She missed the way they made her feel mature, as if in control. So, now, she craved them, longing for those feelings. The woman tossed Holly some menus, smacking her gum. Holly stared at the laminated cards, startled by their suddenness.

Father Gallo entered amid the tinkle of the diner's door bell. He smiled at Holly, waving his hand, before advancing in her direction. Removing his worn baseball cap, the father took his seat with the grace of a man many years younger. He squeezed her hand when he asked how she had been. He smelled like his church, and the cigarette spell dissipated. Holly tried to smile but gave no real answer. Before he said another word, Rani returned, distracting them both.

Holly's roommate returned the priest's salutation, but picked up a menu disengaging, appearing annoyed to be there, although it might have been the hot walk they endured to get there. The waitress took their orders, delaying any discussion further. When she left, Holly noted that she wore the same weird expression on her face as before, as if she were angry at them. That was easy enough to dismiss, with everyone in a derelict mood at the weather. Holly focused on a television in the corner, waiting for the moment to speak to come back around. Her shoulders relaxed. There was a sports channel on, inaudible, but there was a very low likelihood that Jett might appear to ruin her day. Avoiding certain spaces or television channels saved her a great deal of misery, but not all newsstands or people could be silenced.

"Look at the waitress. What do you see?" Father Gallo whispered.

Both did, then quickly glanced away when their eyes were met by the subject's. Rani mumbled under her breath about the outdated coif. Holly stifled a laugh, unusually tickled by the catty response. Tears sprung into her eyes. Her body and mind were confused by the rush of emotion, which should have registered as joy, but twisted to sorrow. These days most feelings became tears.

"No. Aside from that." Gallo chuckled.

Holly dared to look when the waitress returned with drinks. A small creature followed behind her. Sekiel waved his staff then pounded it against the shade's head. The woman was guarded by what appeared to be a demon, and one who dared to get close to them, despite their guardians. Holly frowned. The waitress set their drinks down, startling her patrons. She mentioned that their food would be right out, making it increasingly clear she disliked them by expression and tone. Holly barely heard a word, as the shade shook its fist while it cursed Sekiel, only taking a retreat when his charge did.

"What was that?" Holly asked when they were alone again.

"A soldier. They call that breed gremlin or Daeva. They come from the Grail race," Gallo replied.

"Grail race?"

Holly then noticed another coming to the first's rescue. The second creature had far different features than the other. Mostly, it billowed like a smoke stack. They taunted Sekiel, but he didn't leave his post, standing by the booth, his back to a narrow bit of wall with pictures of famous people on it.