Chapter Ten

One April night, a party at the Nott's having just ended, Astoria sat in her room, taking out her hair pins most contently. Draco didn't at all seem different, even after last week's talk of her stance on blood purists, and this did indeed lift her spirits greatly.

Daphne didn't bother knocking as she strode in. After four months, the two were still hardly speaking.

"What's going on with you and Malfoy?" she said curtly, Astoria jolting from the onset of her appearance.

Taking her time to exhale and turn back to face the vanity's mirror, continuing on with the letting down of her hair, Astoria said calmly, "What's got your wand in a knot?"

"What's going on with you and Malfoy?" she repeated, enunciating the words this time.

Astoria looked at her sister in the mirror, then said, "What do you mean?"

Daphne huffed, already thin on patience, and said, smoothening her hair, "Pansy is getting a bit suspicious and I don't blame her. . . ."

She turned, abandoning the metal pins that clattered uselessly to the floor, and in a huff said, "For once can you just get to the point?"

Arms akimbo, Daphne hissed, "Cozying up with him all the time, sneaking off --"

"Sneaking off? --"

"You're always around each other, you're like his shadow --"

"Um, I think you mean Lawrence --"

"No, I mean Malfoy."

"In case you haven't noticed, I've been rather preoccupied with keeping Avery at bay, and besides -- Draco is my friend --" that was the first time she said it outloud, and she liked the sound.

Her sister scoffed. "Hm."

Astoria listed her head to the side, and, narrowing her eyes, said, "What are you suggesting, Daphne?"

"I'm suggesting, Astoria, that it appears to be more than just a friendship." Her tone was so painfully condescending it made Astoria fume with irritation before she had even processed the words.

Then her head cocked back. Her sister was mental. She'd noticed no such change -- they were just friends --

Standing, she shuffled the hairpins on her vanity into a neat pile in her hand, not looking up as she said, "I'm afraid you're perceiving the wrong thing. Perhaps tell Pansy such paranoia isn't good for her well being." She concealed a grin at how easily she'd copied Daphne's exact brand of condescension.

When she turned around again, the smug smile creeping on her lips vanished as Daphne gripped her shoulders. The motion was unexpected, and Astoria was pretty sure the violence wasn't intended.

Daphne's tone was somewhere between a pleading desperation and a venomous hiss when she said, "Tread lightly, dear sister."

With that, she waltzed out of the room, leaving Astoria gaping after her.