Chapter Six

hai. sorry for the late update, i had no internet connection for a while but here's the chapter now, enjoy!
══════════════

I took off my sneakers.

As the tap water flowed, I placed my hand under it before wiping my wet palm over my clean socks, from the extremity of my toes to the start of the shin, completing the last step of Wudu. This was more convenient than having someone walk in while you had your foot in the bathroom sink.

Slipping my shoes back on, I dried myself with tissue papers when my phone buzzed. I hastily silenced it before the notification for Dhuhr Adhan (call to prayer) could go off in full volume.

After thinking over the matter, I realized that delaying salah without any valid reason wasn't only a sin but a detriment to my own soul too. It was a disruption of the very connection that made me Muslim—the connection with Allah.

So I scouted the school for a spot where I could peacefully offer my Salah and landed on the only quiet place available, which was the library. It was almost empty some minutes after break save for the few students who sat there, minding their own business like people should be doing.

Humming a tune to myself, I stopped at my locker to drop some books but it all fizzled out when I heard a voice that had become all-too-familiar to my ears.

"Hey there, boldie."

Oh Lord. Why does he have to be everywhere?

I squeezed my eyes shut and breathed out in exasperation. "What do you want now?"

"You left your book behind in class."

Huh? I never forget my books.

I turned to check my bag in confusion and a book was indeed missing. How did that happen?

I glanced up at Joseph who stared back at me with a friendly smile on his lips and my book in his hand. That made me feel bad and guilty. He had come to return my book, out of kindness, and I judged him.

Hmm could he have taken it when I wasn't looking? Sheesh! Don't be stupid and get over yourself Daneen.

"Oh, uh thanks," I pulled my eyebrows together and mumbled, carefully taking hold of my book without touching his hand.

"That's it?" Joseph asked in mock disbelief, widening his hazel eyes comically.

"What?" I gave him a baffled look. "Do you want me to pay you?"

"A simple smile would suffice," he suggested with a smile of his own but my expression remained neutral and I returned to my locker.

"Look, okay fine I get it." Joseph sighed, running his fingers through his soft locks and my traitorous eyes moved to follow his action. "You don't have a crush on me. I know that. I was joking with you earlier, capice?" He clarified with a quirk of his eyebrow and I narrowed my eyes dubiously.

I could never tell when this guy was serious or just messing around because I had already come up with multiple ways to prove his theory wrong. But hey, it was good to know he wasn't delusional.