Lesson 4 - How to Speak Up and Defend Yourself

Day 2 - Wednesday, May 22

I managed to finish my first chapter, feeling pretty confident that I had been able to produce something good. It was definitely better than what I had written before – much more animated and realistic. I was able to send it to Sir Oliver just a few minutes before midnight.

The loud ringing of my cell phone wakes me up the following morning. Still feeling a bit groggy, I reach for the phone on the end table beside my bed.

"Hello?" I say, rubbing my eyes.

"Morning, Sia! It's me."

Marc. "Hmm... So, what's on today's agenda?"

"You'll find out soon enough. Listen, you know The Bistro over at Tomas Morato, right?"

"Uh, yeah..."

"Great. Meet me there at exactly 11 AM."

"Ha?"

"See you!"

"O-oi! Teka..." Marc, the insufferable jerk that he is, doesn't bother hearing me out before hanging up. I am left with no choice but to once again obey without a single protest for the sake of my dream. A quick glance at my bedside clock tells me that I only have roughly an hour to prepare and head for The Bistro.

This is great. Really great.

Good morning talaga.

~

As usual, The Bistro is bursting with people. Though I'm not exactly a fan of their food, several seem to think otherwise. I make my way inside and nervously look around. I catch sight of Marc and immediately approach his table.

"Okay, Marc. What are you...?" My question is left unfinished as I realize that Marc isn't alone. Sitting across him is, in all her famed perfection, Kari Valdez.

My God. He's making me sit in on their date!

"Speak of the devil, here she is!" Marc says, laughing.

"Sia Valencia? You were talking about her?" Kari looks like she just got slapped on the face. "You have got to be kidding me."

For once, I actually agree with you, Kari. "I'm leaving." But before I could even turn to go, Marc makes a grab for my arm and forces me to take a seat. Sitting in a single table with Marc and Kari in The Bistro is definitely a situation I never would have imagined myself to be in.

"Sia's a talented writer. She can easily help you, Kari," Marc tells his girlfriend. Then, he turns to me. "You ready for today's task?"

In my head, I already have my hands around Marc's neck, strangling him furiously. But fully aware that I can't just go making a scene in the restaurant, I have to make do with just throwing dagger-like stares at him. Of course, he ignores me and goes on talking.

"You're going to help Kari with her new TV commercial."

Outrageous. Appalling. Horrifying. Jaw-dropping. Shocking. Unbelievable. Unimaginable. Deplorable. Downright unacceptable. This is one of those moments when the words just come to me and not one of them is enough to describe the situation perfectly. This is just so...

It is no news that Kari is already on the verge of a rising carrier in the country's advertising business. She was babbling all about it during the reunion. With her 'great' sense of style and 'unmatchable' artistic capability in all forms of media (and not to mention, her family's wealth and social status), she easily scored the right opportunities. At present, she brags about being the mastermind behind some of the hit promo ads in the industry. In fact, she not only acts behind the scenes. Lately, she's been making the scenes herself.