Chapter 1

(Sean)

"What do you think about Jaine?"

Sean Villamayor almost dropped the box he was holding when Red spoke. He wanted to say that it was a really awkward question to ask. Sean had only met the Jaine Enriquez a few times and had only really interacted with her today, but he ponded at how different his impression of her was from the way Red described her.

Red said Jaine's aura was intimidating. Sean thought she looked really naïve, even though everyone in Southridge Montessori knew that she wasn't. Jaine Enriquez was in fact the campus It Girl. Maybe it was just because she was wearing a blue ribbon-like hair band with polka dots on it that Sean personally thought was inappropriate for a senior student like her.

Red had told Sean he'd always liked the way Jaine talked because it showed how smart she really was and proved that Jaine was more than just a pretty face. Sean thought she was just book-smart; someone who could memorize every word in a textbook but couldn't apply the lessons to real situations.

Red said Sean was lucky to be Jaine's partner in this year's summer immersion and camp week activities. Sean thought otherwise.

But he couldn't say that to his closest buddy. He knew Red wanted a different answer.

"Well..." Sean trailed off to buy himself some time, busying himself by arranging the box of medical supplies at the back of the van. He tried to think of what he really thought about Jaine Enriquez after his first more-than-a-minute meeting with her earlier.

When the camp master, Miss Darson, had announced the team divisions earlier, Sean had actually been expecting to be partnered with Dylan, the debate club chairman and his best friend aside from Red, or Jeffarline, the student government president.

Sean had never expected that he would be partnered with Jaine, a student who had no affiliations within the student body. It seemed to him that she had only been included in the list of senior students who would help facilitate the camp sessions because she was the school chairman's daughter.

Talk about nepotism, Sean thought as he shook his head in disappointment.

All the other incoming senior students had worked hard to be part of this year's camp program. Southridge Montessori's annual summer camp was not an ordinary school camp (as the school's pamphlets proclaimed proudly). All junior students were required to attend. Sean had attended last year as a participant. He'd enjoyed it so much that he'd wanted to go back, this time as part of the facilitating team.

Sean's enthusiasm had faded after the announcement was made. He had been expecting to share leadership duties with another responsible student. But Jaine wasn't on Sean's list of exceptional students. She wouldn't even qualify as a competent one, not by his high standards. And yes, he took leadership seriously, so much so that sometimes Red teased him about it.

He had never been as playful as Red. They'd always differed in their priorities. Red liked to play basketball, Sean liked to read science books. Red liked flirting with girls; Sean liked to scowl at them. And Sean could list a lot more of their differences than he could their similarities. Sometimes he even wondered how they'd managed to stay friends when they had such different personalities.

He turned around and saw Red eagerly waiting for his answer. He wanted to scold him for being too excited about it since Jaine had already dumped him, or rather, stopped him from pursuing her before he'd really gotten dumped.

It's almost the same as being dumped, he thought.

"She's ordinary," he said, not wanting to encourage Red's feelings for Jaine, especially during this summer camp.

Red was also part of the trip, but he'd been partnered to the basketball team manager, Gracie. Sean grinned as he remembered how Miss Darson had described the kind of team work she wanted to see from Gracie and Red. Both had cringed as the only thing they had in common was their love for basketball. Then Sean's smile faded when he remembered who Miss Darson announced would be his own partner. Their team, according to Miss Darson, had unlimited possibilities. He wondered what kind of criteria Miss Darson had used to choose who would be partnered with whom.

"Ordinary? Are you really that blind, Sean?" Red asked.

Sean self-consciously adjusted his eyeglasses and added, "Well, she's not that stunningly pretty. I even doubt if she still looks cute without her makeup on. She's only here because she's the chairman's daughter."

Red did not say anything, and Sean already knew that it was the end of their conversation.

"Are you done with the supplies?"

Sean was startled when he heard Jaine's voice come from behind Red. He glanced at Red, who looked equally surprised by her presence.

Did Jaine hear what I said? Sean wanted to ask.

When neither of the guys answered her, Jaine added, "There are still a few boxes in the stock room. And Miss Darson said you should hurry up."

"Yes, ma'am," Red responded.

He gave Jaine a playful salute and his infamous smile. Other girls would have swooned at this. Sean noted that Jaine wasn't even slightly affected. Maybe Sean was wrong. Maybe Jaine wasn't like every other girl.

Red left, enthusiastically roping other basketball team members into helping him on his way to the stock room. Sean turned his attention back to his task. He expected Jaine to leave, having accomplished her task. But she stayed and stared at him.

He wanted to ignore her, but he was surprised to find he felt self-conscious. He then reasoned to himself that it was just because he wasn't use to working with someone watching him.

"Do you need anything else?" he asked without looking up from his checklist of supplies.

He waited, but Jaine just continued to stare. Irritated, he finally stopped working and gave her the attention she wanted.

"Do you need anything else, Miss Jaine Enriquez?" he asked again, giving emphasis to his formal way of addressing her.

To his bemusement, Jaine smiled. Her whole face brightened up when she did. And Sean was reminded of this season, of summer. He knew she wasn't ordinary. But Sean would never admit he'd been wrong.