10. Home

Days after the battle, we finally arrived home at the Night Court. Ash had seemed on edge for the past few days, and I couldn't tell if it was the trauma of dying and living again or the weight of the fact that she was stuck in our world forever. I tried comforting her, and while she seemed to appreciate my sentiment, her behavior was still off. I didn't want to shrug it off and I didn't want to pester her about it either. So I decided to give her some space, something we all needed these days.

It was going to take a while for Prythian to heal again. Lone valg soldiers were still being hunted down, but without a leader and the Caldron powers, they were easy to pick off. The Spring Court was in shambles. Tamlin denied the aid we offered, saying he could handle it on his own. But the Day Court went against his orders anyway, Lucien and Helion both agreeing that Tamlin was too stubborn to accept help when he needed it. They left Tamlin alone and instead helped his people rebuild their towns and bury their dead.

Tarquin had been the one to deal the final blow to Orcus. After he had knocked my mother aside, the Caldron's power had vanished. Whilst he was distracted Tarquin had snuck up behind him and cut off his head. Knowing the valg were prone to fire, my father made sure Beron had burned the body.

Now all of us were back in our own courts, unsure of what to do after the events over the past month or so. It was hard to believe that just days ago we were fighting a war, and today we were sitting together eating lunch as if nothing happened.

But the problem was, that something did happen. No one was really over me and Ash's deaths, then surprising resurrections. We were still reeling over it as well. We had both gone over the scenarios, told each other of the light we say before getting sucked back into the living world. We both stared at the tiny tattoo of our wrists, the Cauldron's reminder that she gave us life, and could take it back again.

Ash moved back into her apartment. I took it as a sign that she needed some more space and more time to herself. She would still come and visit daily, or I would visit her, but she seemed out of it. Lost in her own head more often. I wanted to slip into her mind so much, but it was an invasion of her privacy. I wouldn't do that to her.

So I sat around waiting for the day that she would tell me what was wrong. What she was feeling. Why she was in a mood lately.

Finally, she did. One night, as we snuggled up on her bed in her apartment, she finally spoke up.

"I don't think I'm trapped here anymore Rae," she said softly. Surprised, I sat up from where I was lying next to her, looking down at her face. She stared up at the ceiling, her eyes unfocused.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I have this feeling, this thing, calling me," Ash started to explain. "It feels like there is a compass inside my chest, pointing me in the direction of-"

Her words trailed off as she turned to face me. "I would say 'home'," she started, "but I don't think that word fits Orynth anymore."

"Where is this 'compass' pointing?" I asked.

"That's the weird thing," she replied. "It's pointing towards the ruined portal. But when I went back there, there was nothing."

We were silent for a few moments. Ash sat up and backed up against the headboard of her bed to sit beside me. She leaned her head on my shoulder and sighed. She looked really tired.

"I don't want to give up on my family and friends yet," she whispered softly. "But I don't want to be selfish either."

"What do you mean?" I gently put my hands on the side of her face, making her look into my eyes. "Trying to find a way back to your old home, your family, your friends, that's not selfish."

"But shouldn't I be more grateful about the fact that I'm alive and here with you?" Ash asked, her eyes tearing up.

"Not if I already understand that you are grateful, which I do," I answered. I pulled her into a hug, and she hesitantly hugged me back.

"Maybe I have to recreate the portal," Ash murmured into my shoulder. "Using the same spell my mother used when she made the portal to your world."

"I think Aunt Nesta was the one with the spell," I said. Ash snorted.

"Yeah, but it was the wrong one," she retorted.

"Fair point." I giggled and released Ash from my grasp. She chuckled to herself and leaned back again, but still sat close to me.

"Hey, Rae?" Ash looked back up at me, sounding hesitant to say anything. She nervously bit her lip before sighing. "Would you come to Ornyth with me, just for a little bit, if we manage to figure out a way back?"

"Of course!" I assured her. "I don't want to leave your side ever again."

Ash sighed with relief before she laughed and snuggled into me. "Just be cautious of my parents, siblings, or friends cause they are all gonna want to kick your ass for getting me stuck here."

I laughed. "I can take them."

Ash rolled her eyes. "Not when they all attack you at once."

We continued to laugh and chat through the night. I was glad she had finally opened up to me. Hopefully tomorrow, we could find a way to bring her home. But now I just want to spend time with her.

✧ ✧ ✧

Turns out one can not make a portal in one day. It took me and Ash a week to do some research, confirm with my parents about how things worked, and find the spell to use. Since there was no such thing as witch mirrors in my world Ash couldn't just talk to someone from her world, she had to just believe she got everything right.

We stood in the little clearing of trees that surrounded the portal. Ash said it looked similar to the clearing on her side, but they were still different. It had taken us a couple of hours to set the portal back up and prep the spell. When we were finally ready, Ash took my hand into hers and squeezed it.

"I hope this works," she said quietly. Before I could assure her it would, she pulled her hand away and began to start the process of making the portal. I watched as the air around her started to swirl, picking up pine needles and some dirt. The scent of magic was thick in the air and I had to step back because of how badly my nose itches. Ash stood, continuing to speak words in a language I didn't understand, and could do nothing but watch. But with a flash of blinding light and a surge of power, I was knocked off my feet.

I blinked rapidly, trying to regain my vision. Rubbing my nose and after violently sneezing I managed to stand back up. I rushed over to Ash, who was sitting on the ground. Her mouth hung open as she stared in front of her.

"I did it," she said softly. Then she jumped up, not even noticing the hand I had extended down to her to help her up. Instead, she jumped onto me, wrapping her legs around my waist as she hugged me. "I did it! Rae, we did it!" she exclaimed excitedly. I hugged her back, still surprised by how she had jumped on me.

"We did it," I said, smiling uncontrollably. We spun around, giggling with excitement and glee before I finally set Ash on the ground. She was still bubbling over with happiness and could hardly stay still. Grabbing my hand she pulled me closer to the portal.

"Let's go home!" she said happily. I smiled at her.

"I thought you said Orynth didn't feel like home anymore."

She beamed at me. "Anywhere I go with you feels like home."

Then she pulled me through the portal.

A/N

And they lived happily ever after. :)

Stay tuned for another Authors Note, an epilogue, or possibly a sequel announcement. We'll see.