~28~

Kat tried to listen to what else those two voices were going to say, but the footsteps continued on, the footsteps and voices fading until she couldn't hear them anymore. She continued to strain against the chains, and it moved an inch.

She paused for a moment, shock and excitement coursing through her system, and she continued to pull. She yanked against the chains some more, straining her muscles, ignoring how her muscles burned, sweat coating her fur. She yanked with everything she had, until finally, the chains burst from the wall, causing her to stumble forward a few feet.

She just stood there for a moment, hardly able to believe what happened. She was actually free.

Now she had to figure out how to get the hell out of here.

She tried searching for a loose stone in the wall and floor. If she was able to shift into her human form, she would be able to search for the stone, though she was stuck in her fox form, so she would have to make the best of it.

Suddenly there were footsteps racing down the hall in front of her door, causing her to freeze. Shouts echoed off the walls, shouts of the castle being under attack.

Kat's heart started to race. Attack? Her mind went back to the Lewis's, Waynes, and the other shapeshifters attacking Caius's castle. Could that be them? Were they here?

Trevor didn't think, he and the others just charged in. He had shifted into a jaguar, Savannah in her wolf form, Laura as a panther, the others still in their human forms so they could cast their magic.

As could be expected, vampires came charging at them, some with their swords raised. Tara lifted her hand, murmuring a spell under her breath, and in an instant the vampires were knocked down. They ran forward, never once stopping or glancing back.

They ran through the dark hallway, past stone walls with torches hanging on them, doors, doorways that led to other hallways. The place was huge, and they kept running into vampires but one of the Lewis's kept knocking them down.

They ran down the hallway until they came to a sudden halt. Caius stood in the middle of the hallway, holding an unconscious Lupe up by the scruff of her neck.

Trevor felt his blood run cold as he stared at the sight before him.

"Hello again," Caius drawled. Trevor snarled and took a step closer. "I wouldn't do that if I were you, Mr. Wayne. I can easily snap your friend's neck right here, right now. I seriously doubt you want that."

Trevor continued to snarl but didn't move closer. He had no doubt Caius would kill Lupe without a second thought and he wouldn't risk the chance.

"I'm going to propose a deal to you all," Caius said, his cool voice reaching them from all the way down the hallway. There was a darkness around them, an evil presence in the air that caused the air to thicken, almost making it hard to breathe. "I will spare your friend, if you all agree to play a little game with me."

"Game?" Christian spat, his eyes filled with murder. "Are you effing kidding us right now? What kind of shit are you playing at here?"

Caius smirked. "This proves how much you're willing to risk to save your friend. If you try to evade my domain, then--"

Trevor lunged forward, wanting to catch the man off guard. He took him to the ground but he merely blinked when Caius's hard fist connected with the side of his face, causing him to reel backwards, the move catching him off guard.