Chapter Forty-Eight: First Act

Penny that morning didn't feel happy or relaxed at all. In fact she woke up to a strong urge to go to the bathroom. 

Some people would call them nervous bowel movements. 

Penny just found it slightly more pleasant that nervous vomiting. 

Her stomach afterwards slightly a little lighter, but the same rock seemed planted to her gut. How could it go away then so many people relied on her having a perfect performance. 

She left her room late that Tuesday morning, so late that Quentin was already at work. However, he did a note that some leftover breakfast was in the fridge. She first made a plain black coffee, no creamer and no sugar. It wasn't extremely pleasant, but she feared that the dairy with clog her voice and make it hard to sing, even though she has never experience that before. Opening the fridge, a cool blast continued to wake her up. She shivered at the feeling. She saw a plated and chilled egg sandwich with fresh tomato and bacon. She graciously took it out and started to eat it cold over the kitchen counter. 

Sitting there alone reminded her of Ms. Birdie, her past maid and oldest friend. She wasn't here to celebrate with them. She was somewhere away with unknown people. She couldn't help but hold some animosity towards the older woman. Penny couldn't believe that the only person who supported her through life wasn't there. She has been keeping little contact, despite the constant emails she sends to her. It sucks. There is no other phrase that works better that "it sucks". She often trying to forget Ms. Birdie, especially in her work. She wasn't alone anymore and she was trying to embrace it. However, there are times, like when she was alone in the kitchen or cleaning, the woman creeps into her mind. She messaged her almost everyday, seeing if she will come for Christmas, but nothing yet. 

She still had a lot of time before she had to go in, so she decided to actually work out. She didn't go to the third floor often. She wasn't one to workout and she hasn't had time to sit down and enjoy a movie. She need to clear her mind and emotions, as well as get herself pumped up for opening night. 

She changes into a pair of spandex leggings, a low-impact sports bra, and an old college t-shirt. She really didn't want to tire herself out, since the night was going to be long and she was going to be hard at work. In the corner of the home gym was a Peloton Bike. Quentin really had money to spend. She hopped on and placed her legs on the petals. She looked at different workouts, "trails", and other functions on the giant screen. She decided to follow along with a profession on a beginner biking workout. She placed her water bottle a cup holder attached and started workout. 

It wasn't long before droplets of sweat formed on her chest, arms, and forehead. Nothing about it was too difficult, but a lot of effort was needed. She was only half way through when she needed to pause for a slight water break. Then she hopped back on and biked her heart out. Her heart pumped, her mind was focused, and her muscles burned. It was a thrilling feeling once she was finished. Gingerly getting off, she had to reach her hands out for better balance due to weak legs. Even though her heart was still racing on the bike, she laid down on the cool gym floor and took a second to gather her breathes. She finished her time in the gym with a full body stretch. Using this opportunity to push her muscles to farther length.

Penny left the room feeling like Gumby and excited to dance on stage. 

Penny's whole body when enter the shower was buzzing. Energy and excited, rather than nervousness, radiated from her body. No longer was she scared about messing up. She was started to get the thrill and joy of performing. Penny never felt more in her element, and she was surprised that a simple workout could do that. She supposed she just biked all those negative emotions away. 

She took a longer shower than usual, but she had the time for it. First, the water was freezing cold, easing the sweat from her body. Slowly, she turned up the heat and warmed her body back up to an accepted temperature. Quickly drying off, she did some simple skin care so that her makeup can be applied easier. For clothes, she wanted something easy to take on and off, since she will be changing from street clothes to costume and, then later at night, costume to street clothes. After putting on approved underwear and a random bra that didn't matter, she clothed herself in cozy dark gray sweatpants and a soft purple shirt.