54. Snowflakes

Nervously I twist my hands together. Jadeth and Larae have both left me in a corridor waiting in a line of women, ready to make our grand entrances into the great hall. There must be around thirty of us of all ages and wearing a variety of colours from deep greens to light blues, standing there listening to the faint sound of music.

I am close to the back of the line and so I am able to observe the goings on at the front. One by one, women are disappearing down the spiral stair case at the end, and I draw ever closer to the front.

Questions echo around my brain, who will be waiting for me at the bottom? Will it be Sage? And would we go as friends? Or Killian? My stomach does a spin that I quickly squish, it is unheard of for a knight to take a commoner to a ball. Maybe it shall be a complete stranger, also without a partner.

Finally I reach the top of the staircase, a servant stands to the side ready to signal me downwards. I glance back at the older lady behind me and she gives me a comforting smile; it is time.

Taking a deep breath I begin to walk down the stairs, my mind focusing entirely on where I am placing my feet so as to not fall down and embarrass myself. The stair case leads out into the great hall and for a few seconds I am in shock at the size of the room, for I thought it would be much smaller.

A servant announced at the bottom, "We now welcome the young and beautiful Ell, the traveler from the mountains and her suitor... Sir Killian!"

My eyes widen in disbelief but there at the bottom is Killian, waiting for me. He is no longer wearing his travelling clothes but rather a dark blue tunic with matching hoses, transforming him into the handsome nobleman that he is.

My stomach erupts with butterflies as his eyes look me over once before meeting my own, "M'lady you look breathtaking," I blush and he offers me his arm, "shall we?"

I nod and together we walk slowly over to where everyone else is gathering with their partners and making small talk whilst the other entrances take place.

"Is Sage here too?" I ask.

"Yes, he is over on the other side of the room." Killian says, pointing.

My eyes flit over to where Sage is in the corner, chatting to another man.

Before I can reply the servant calls out, drawing everyones attention, including that of the musicians who halt in their song.

"I now present to thee, Lord Ulric and Lady Eleanor, celebrating their ten year anniversary!" I unlike my arm from Killian's in order to join the clapping that erupts from around the room as the couple walks down the stairs, both draped in long golden attire and smiling.

"Thank you, thank you!" Lord Ulric calls out.

Lady Eleanor continues, "Family, friends and strangers, we are very honoured that you are all here to celebrate with us! The night shall consist of dancing and then a feast with toasts to close on!

"And without further ado," Lord Ulric laughs, "because we know that you are not here to hear us ramble on, let the celebrations begin!"

He claps his hands and suddenly the music is back and much louder.

"May I have this dance?" Killian asks from behind me.

"This is different,"

"What is?"

I turn to him with a teasing smile, "you are actually asking me this time,"

He sighs with a laugh, "Is the beautiful maiden saying yes to my question then?"

"She is." I slip my small hand into his large one and we join the people in the middle of the floor and take our places for the well known tune that is beginning to be played.